Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
what to expect after ectopic??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

what to expect after ectopic??

I had surgery late saturday evening for an ectopic pregnancy..  This was my second m/c this year.  I don't know what to expect.  The dr took out my tube and pregnancy but I don't have any bleeding..  when will I start??  will I have severe cramping and how ling will it last??  I feel so alone as I write this.  I think it just hit me I lost another baby... the dr said I can try in three months..  I don't know if I can handle another loss..  This is the first I've cried since Saturday..  I expected to m/c as I was told I would..  so I thought I was prepared enough but how do I get through this...thanks for listening...
I am sorry for your loss. my best friend had an ectopic preg. that ruptured her tube about 6 or so years ago. She went off the pill the same time as i did this year (feb), her and her fiance got preg in July (around the time I m/c crazy huh?) Her preg is going well She is about 18 weeks preg now:) she didnt think she would be able to get preg easily. But she did. Just give your self time to rebound from this emotionally.

You know you can always count on us here.

Nadine
I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is a definite hard thing to go thru, both physically and emotionally.
When I had my first ectopic in 2000, in which they removed my right tube as it was severely damaged, I was extremely bloated (tmi, but I would actualy fart as I walked down the hallway of the hospital, not funny then I can chuckle now finally), had extreme cramping for about a week or two, bled for a good 4 weeks post op, which included clots and a greyish matter.
Emotionally, I still haven't been able to get over it, as ironically as this sounds, but have also experienced a second tubal 6 years later to the exact month. I may be speaking on my own behalf, but I still feel that something is missing.
Physically, I was unable to have anything inserted into my area (including tampons) for a duration of 8-12 weeks post-op. And to refrain from work that entailed me to require lifting anything over 5 - 10 lbs for at least 6 weeks (I still rearranged my living room 4 days after I was released from the hospital. I need to keep busy)
In regards to this on the mental side, I found that if you can find a reason, any reason, to laugh or make someone else, in a sense it helps for you to recover, a bit. (That is why I include little notes in parenthesis, hoping you can once find your laugh).
I don't know if this answers your question, but I really hope that it helps. (PS. It gives a good reason for your man to REALLY take care of you, they best way he knows how, and THAT is important. Not being silly either)  ((HUGS)) and wish you all the best.
So sorry to hear how things turned out.
Don't have any insight on ectopics....I had a "presumed" one in August...and got Metho. shot.

give yourself time to heal... physically and emotionally, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I had eptopic 11 years ago and it 14 weeks before we found out. It was terrible, I had to have the tube removed as it had ruptured. I know how you feel, I know the feeling of being alone, trust me you are not alone in this. I didnt have any bleeding afterwards at all. I had some cramping and my cycle came back as normal within 2 months. I have since had two healthy prenancies and 1 other M/C I am currently pregnant with 3rd but only 5 weeks into it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Well I had my laparotomy, that removed the baby and my right tube on a sunday around midnight, I didn't start painless bleeding until the following Saturday.  However the next day (Sunday, one week after the surgery) I had excruciating pain, that came in contractions (It felt like the pain you have when you are having a miscarriage), and that was to expel some grey matter that I believe was the placenta, after it was expelled I stopped having pain within 10 minutes.  Then I continued bleeding for another 5 days, the last two days was only spotting.

Hope this helps.
I fotgot to add that this was October 8th and I still haven't gotten af yet.
Hi, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what you have gone through.  I, too, just had a pregnancy loss to tubal, I also had to have the tube removed.  I can definately realte to not being prepared enough.  I was told that I would m/c, and I cried (this was my fourth loss) and when nothing happened a week later I called my doc back and he suggested a d&C- I spent another morning in tears, but after the d&C I felt it was finally over.  The day after the d&c my OB called to say that there was no products of conception in what was removed the day before, so I needed to have another blood test done and that the pregnancy was most likely in my tube.  The next day I had to go to the cancer ward of the local hospital and get the methotrexate shot, I spent that morning in tears- I could only think that instead of having a d&c to remove an non-viable pregnancy, I had to take a shot that would kill my baby that was in the wrong spot (even though I knew it never had a chance, you can't help but think it).  I ended up in the ER 2 days later, and 2 days after that I had the surgery to remove the pregnancy.  Honestly, I was just so glad to have it done and over with, I needed to heal.  I grieved my loss over and over again, it seemed never ending.  I just take it one day at a time, if I feel the need to cry- I do, if I feel angrey I let it come-but I don't let it consume me.  I have had 2 af's since my surgery, and have gotten the go ahead and try again.  I can honestly say that I am scared to death of seeing another positive pregnancy test, the thought of it makes me want to puke, but I can't help but hope that I will get to be a mother again- I just always wonder how many more losses I will have to endure.  I wish you the best of luck- and please know that I am thinking of you, and that you are not alone- (((((((((hugs))))))))
thanks to all of you for your support.  My husband and I decided to wait to make the decision about trying again.  He doesn't care we already have two together, one boy and one girl.  I feel and overwhelming need at 35 to have another baby.  now I have three 14,11, and almost 9.  yikes.  why???  I don't understand it and it doesn't make it any easier that i have the nursery all painted..  maybe the new year will bring better luck????
I wanted to direct my question to scaredincanada.  I had emergency surgery for an e/p on 10/20/06, I was 8 weeks.  I felt really sore afterwards but OK mentally, then about a week after surgery I started having extreme discomfort in that region similar to what you stated (not being able to put anything in there).  Doctors have been stumped as to what is going on and tried several things, that haven't worked.  It has been three months and I am hating it, I just want my body to return to normal.  What was the cause of your discomfort and did it ever go away - please say YES!
I just had my first tubal a few days ago I am bleeding and clotting but what hurts the most is knowing lost my baby and a part of me.I am so scared of getting pregnant again I read about the risks, I know them off the back of my hand I have been a emotional mess and since Im anemic I lost alot of blood during the surgery.The doctors said way more than half that I could have passed.I thank god i am alive but need some real education on what to expect.
First of all, it has been helpful to read every comment.  I just lost my 4th baby through ectopic (right tube) pregnancy on 8/16/07.  I am really happy for those of you who have tried again or at least have the chance to try again.  Unfortunately, I lost my left tube several years ago.  My only chance of conceiving now is IVF, which is very costly.  If anyone can direct me to some online couseling/help groups for coping with not having a baby at all, please let me know.  My email is: ***@****.
I had ectopic on Aug 30/07 could anyone let me know what I will expect after the laparoscopy? I am in pain right now. My right tube is saved, but I still have discharge and lower pelvic pain. Is this normal and how long will it last? When will my period come back? I also have some bruising from the surgery. Can anyone whom have gone thru this know what symptoms I will have, what things to eat and not to eat and. what activities I should or should not do? I am worried as the doctor in the hospital did not tell me anything about post surgery care.  
Im sorry to hear your news,i know how devasting it is.i to had an eptopic back in nov 2006,i was also one of the lucky ones and they managged to save my right tube.your right doctors dont seem to tell you about post surgery care.i got my periods back roughly 6 weeks later.you will have some discomfort for a while,but it will go.there is no right or wrong thing to eat.just take things easy.continue as normal with care.and dont be down hearted you wont get pregnant again.we had been trying for 8 years,then the eptopic.and we were told we wouldnt concieve (conceive) naturally,however 8 months on,we just found out im pregnant,wow.im still getting used to it,i had scan check baby was in right place and it is.so give yourself time to heal,and it will happen,alot of people say after a lap it tends to clear tubes,i had lap and dye done after eptopic,right tube had scarring .was in pain for while.but it will pass,good luck in the future.
hi all. i am a newbie here. i am here to seek for opinions and at the same time to seek some comfort. i had ectopic a month ago, 14/08 and my right tube has been removed. i almost lost my life, because my right tube burst and i was having mass internal bleeding. my gyne said that i almost didnt made it. now i wake up every day and thank God that im still alive. but the emotional pain is unbearable. this is my second m/c. i had blighted ovum the first in march and now ectopic in aug. i dont know wat to hope for anymore. i am so scared to try again. i kept thinkin about the possibilities of it happening again. but i want to try to be positive. is there really hope?
I feel for everyone out there!! This is my first eptopic pregnancy and i have been reading about it like crazy as i am very scared..I am about 7weeks and 5 days pregnant.The doctor wants to waita week and see if i miscarry..If not they will do surgery...I am so scared of the pain and if they take tubes out no matter what and if this efect me getting pregnante again...I wonder if i caught this early enough??
WOW! What a great board this is! I had my right tube removed last Friday. It has been a week and I have no bleeding, but some eggwhite cm ( at least that's what it looks like) for the past two days. My stomach is horribly bruised and I am still in a lot of discomfort getting out of bed and sitting up for long periods of time. I am eating everything in the house though. :)  We both need to stay positive and know that things will be OK. Bless you and your family.
Your feelings of being afraid are valid ones. An ectopic pregnancy is very serious. I myself was about 7.5 weeks into my pregnancy and I didn't even know it until I went to the ER the week before! My tue was ruptured and I had begun to bleed inside. I saw the pictures and it looked horrible even though I wasn't haveing any other symptoms other than bleeding from the 10th of January until that day, which was around February 1st. If  you indeed have a tubal pregnancy- there are only two ways of dealing with it from my understanding: one- by meds- if your tube is not ruptured or two- by surgery, if it has. I will be praying for you and each of the women here that I have read about- there is hope!
I had surgery to remove my ectopic on feb 8th 2008 and they were able to leave my tube. The following Monday my numbers went way down so everything looked good. I went back the following Tuesday to check my HCG and I was oncerned because I still hadn't got my period and still had pg symptoms. Well my beta came back higher. So they didn't get all the pg tissue out during surgery and it started growing. I had to go in later that day for the metho shot. A few days later I was in the hospital with some hemorhaging and thought I might need another surgery to remove the tube. I stopped bleeding and my hemoglobin started stablisg. I was released and started bleeding the next day with horrible cramping for 2 days and passed lots of clots and chunks of tissue. It was horrible. I have had quite a bit of pain off and on and it has been almost 5 weeks since surgery. I go in tomorrow for another beta and hopefully it is under 5 and I can be don with the blood draws. I have been bleeding for 18 days an it is finally slowing down and turning brown. This has been such a horrible 2 months. I have also been dealing with infertillity for over 10 years. We have a daughter through ivf and this was a medicated cycle with follistim so it really is so hard to finally get pg and lose it!!

I am so sorry for everyone's loses they are all I heartbreaking!!

Xoxo
sheila
I am sorry for your loss...
I have a question , when ectoptic pregnancy occurs, do they always remove the tube? Can't they just remove the embryo and leave the tube?
How do doctors know if it is ectoptic?
Thanks!
Hey there they can remove the fetus but most of the time the damage is so severe that leaving the tube could be dangerous if you were to get pregnant again from that tube the chances for another ectopic goes up considerably. Signs of an ectopic are HCG levels dont rise properly, one sided pain. bleeding, and other symptoms too but i cant remember all of them now. Hope this helps
Thanks!
Well, I believe that symptoms for pregnancy are also implantation bleeding, pain.....I just not sure how docs can find out early enough to get the fetus out without removing the tube.....?
I m not pregnant yet but I just want to know :)
I also had an ectopic Jan 08.  I had the surgery, but they did not remove the tube. My RE says it is damaged/won't function right but says there is a possiblility to repair later if needed.  We had been ttc for three years and were extatic.  We were 2 days till 8 week u/s when my tube ruptured.  RE did lap surgery to remove pg and D&C so I would not have much bleeding.  I had 2-3 days of light spotting and was down on the couch for a week. My HCG levels continued to be monitored until they reached under 5, two weeks later I started my period--it was about five weeks after the surgery. This disapointment and emptyness is difficult to surpass.  I know it is something I will never completely get past, but I know I do not want to give up hope for a child.  This month we are starting to try again.  Because of the damage, we are only doing IUI's when I ovulate from the left side.  I was very suprised we are able to try this month, I had IUI today and so the 2ww begins.  Despite the "slim" chance Re says of it happening again, I can't help but worry.  My heart goes out to everyone who has experinced this.
Just went thru this ordeal myself.  Only 5 weeks 2 dys pregnant and suffered from ectopic, after trying for 1 yr, 3mos and following an HSG/dye run through uterus and tubes in January this year.  Blood, urine, ultrasound and innervaginal u/s done.  As only 5 wks along, too soon to see any sign on u/s.  They will check your hcg levels and along with accompanying symptoms, run tests needed.  With me they did the laproscopy, went in thru bellybutton and lower abdomin (abdomen), filled my belly with gas and found the fetus in the tube, my pain was severe and had not let up for 3 days.  Had to add another incission and remove fetus.  They did not remove my left tube although has extensive damage and may cause another ectopic - which makes me angry that it wasn't removed as we want to try again!  No sign of damage to the right side so I guess we have hope yet?!  The bleeding is heavy now with clotts, very frightening.  The post op care was not specific from anyone....just to report if anything out of the ordinary.  This has been the worst ride of my life, up, down, side to side.  The biggest emotional rollercoaster, my prayers and thoughts to all of you and loved ones on here, thanks for the support through the sharing of your stories......
how soon after an ectopic pregnancy can I resume sex?
my friend just had one, her tube was removed and everything, its been about a week and the last two nights she has been in horrible pain, sharp shooting pains in that region where her tube was.... she says it feels like it did the first time.. last night she ran a 102 fever but it went down... shes still in alot of pain... she wanted me to get online and look up ectopic surgery recovery... is this normal??? please help us, e-mail me drew.***@**** thank you
Hi, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed 5/13 with an ectopic and had a meth shot the same day. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect. Thanks
Sorry for everyones loss!  My ruptured on the 8th may.  Lost alot of blood and was told that I nearly died.  I was 10 weeks pregenant.  I am wondering if anyone else has polcystic ovaries(both)  and has had one tube removed(right) due to ectopic pregnancy?  Also I was wondering if they managed to get pregenant?   Thanx
just found out I was pregnant on Monday am, later that evening went to the we because I would bleed when trying to have a b.m. Found out I had a tubal pregnancy and had surgery the next am. I am so confused wether or not I should try again or get on b.c... Have one completely damaged tube and one tube that was repaired some what with some damage from the pregnancy.
First off, I am so sorry for your loss.
I also suffered a tubal pregnancy about 2 months ago, it was the worst experience of my life.  Not only did I almost loose my own life but I lost my baby.  I had just found out I was pregnant 4 days before I went into the hospital emergency dept because I was having so much pain, at first I was devastated thinking I was going to miscarry but little did I know what was to come.  While I was in emergency I felt faint with extreme pain, as if I felt something inside me pop. The doctors told me that my left tube had burst and that I was bleeding internally and at risk of losing my life.  I was 6 weeks pregnant.  I lost so much blood that they asked me to agree to a blood transfusion if necessary, thank God it did not come to that point.  In the end I lost my left tube.  They tell me to wait 6 months before safely trying again but my heart is broken and I am sooo terrified to try again, but God knows I will because I won't give up.  I just started work last week for the first time since this has happened, its been about 2 months.  I know your pain and I pray for each and everyone of you. God bless and keep your faith in God.
I am in the midst of recovering from an ectopic (fetus 7 weeks along) removed 4 days ago by laprascopic surgury. Right tube was completely removed as it was ruptured internal bleeding etc.. I have found so much comfort here as I have called my doctors office everyday since the operation. Asking as each new symptom occurs -Is this normal or am I dying? I was very suprised at how little information was given to me by the hospital at post-op as to what to expect and what is 'normal' during this process. So for me so far it has been a roller coaster of emotions and physical pain. Each person will be emotionally different- I have waves of sadness but my faith in a higher power gives me much comfort.

Physically , I expected general soreness and tenderness in the puncture areas but the pain from the invasion of my abdomen by the gas was the first unsuspected issue. The stabing pain moved all over my body but settled for several days just under my lungs and rib cage, so everytime I took a breath which is fairly often.... it hurt. As of today that is mostly gone.

The second concern I had was bloating - I mean big time- throughout my entire abdomen. It happened 2 days after the operation and I looked 6 months pregnant. This again, apparently normal. Today it has gone down significantly. Doctors office said it is a combo of the gas and just general poking around that took place in my belly during surgury.

I understood from a previous c-section that peeing after a cathater has been up there is a challenge and I did stuggle (or rather relaxed enough) to fully empty my bladder for the first couple of days.But as of this morning 4 days later, I still hadn't pooped....Normal again- combo of surgury and narcotic drugs. Nurse recommended Milk of magnesia but since I had none in the house and driving to the store didn't seem like a good idea (narcotics) I ate every high fiber food I could find in the house and drank a ton of water and by mid afternoon - bowel movement success! The relief was short lived as within an hour of the lightness in my backside I  began bleeding and cramping (seriously cramping) up front....I became very Scared as the word "Death" was mentioned several times in conjunction with this same degree of pain 4 days ago, I advised my 4 year old to get his shoes on - Mommy needed to go to the hospital. I called the doctors office emergency line just to confirm that this amount of pain is 'unusal' only to learn that...it is normal.. I was highly relieved to learn that my body is acknowledging that I was no longer pregnant and was sheding all of the uteren tissue that has built up etc. I guess it suprised me that it took 4 days to get started on this process- I had no bleeding until today. The bleeding is very normal but if I was soaking thru a maxi pad an hour - that would require medical help. The nurse also informed me that the bleeding is likely to last a week or so but my body will likely pass blood clots and those are even 'normal' so long as they are smaller than 'golf ball' size.

Just as she had warned me within an hour of the intense cramping I passed a clot about 2 inches long by 3/4 of an inch in diameter. I had never seen anything like it come out of my body. It is only about 5 hours later and I haven't had any more severe cramping or clotting- could that be all of it? The nurse did tell me that the initial release and the first day of the bleeding is usually the worst.

One side affect of the surgury that was certainly unusual but not painful at all was that my right side of my labia (I am not even sure I am using the right terminology -the outter lip) has turned completely black and blue....the nurse didn't have a direct explanation but wasn't shocked or concerned when I mentioned it.

I feel like I have been very paranoid since the procedure about internal bleeding and unsuspected problems but everytime I get off the phone with the doctors office I feel so much better - My advice is get comfortable with calling your doctors office- make sure you have their after hours phone number and use it if you are concerned.....that is why they have it. Good luch to all of you.God Bless.
Hello Everyone
I had an emergency op for ectopic on Friday 17th Oct, I was about 7 weeks and whilst I was waiting to been seen by the doctor in the hospital my tube burst.  Anyway have been in quite a lot of pain till about Wednesday, then I started to bleed quite heavy on Thursday and I am still bleeding.  The doctors told me that I might not bleed for the first few days as your body absorbs the blood that it needs first?  Anyway, hoping that things will settle soon.  I would just like everything to return to normal but I know it can take time.  Just glad I am alive x
Hi all, so sorry to hear about all your sad losses...seems theres alot of us in the same boat. I found out i was pregnant naturally last Tuesday after being told 6yrs ago i would never concieve (conceive) naturally due to blocked tubes (im now 27yrs) therefore they wanted to see me for a scan to see what was going on inside...my baby was alive in my right tube at 6wks into the pregnancy, at this point i had had very little pain and no bleeding which nobody could understand?? anyway they arranged for me to have emergancy op to remove the pregnancy and a section of my right tube was removed, i wasn't too bad obviously very sore but no bleeding etc, day 2 after the operation i started seeing brownish discharged which worried me because of infection etc...this now day 3 looks abit more like a period?? is this normal??
i've experienced an ectopic pregnancy and i had the baby removed by a laproscopic surgury. i did get some slight bleeding that felt like a very light period.
it's normal to bleed after the removal of a tubal pregnancy as long as the bleeding doesn't become very heavy.
I just had the surgery last 2/2, it has been exactly a week and I feel great. Emotionally I feel like I am in recovery where last week everything made me cry. The pain is pretty much gone, the bleeding has stopped. The only thing I have noticed is every little thing I do makes me SO tired. I went to work for an hour today and that was overwhelming. I am exhausted now!
I am anxious to try again, but scared and hope this doesn't happen again. I am hoping to get pregnant right away but what is meant to be will be...
This was my second. My daughter is almost 11 and I am 28.
I had an ectopic that ruptured last april and am now due April 10th with a healthy little girl!  I was so worried when I got pregnant this time that it would be another ectopic and it wasn't.  I also thought it would take forever to get pregnant again and it didn't.  My only advice to you would be to listen to what the Dr. has to say, don't lift anything!!!!  My scar didn't heal right and I think it's because i still lifted my daughter.  I didn't think about it at the time and just wanted to feel better and get back to normal, but now I wish I had listened.  I really REALLY hate my scar!!!  
THANK YOU! That is so good to hear. I really haven't found a lot of people that get pregnant right away! Did you start trying on your first ovulation or did you wait a couple of months? I'm sorry if that is to personal, I just am really curious..
I have been the same way, just want to get back to normal. I am DYING to go back to work, but they want me to wait until next week. Everything I do makes me feel like I have run a marathon...did you feel like that and if so how long did it last?
i am so upset about this i had my baby removed and right tube last night and have bin let home 2day i feel brusied all ova my tummy ..legs..and arms is this normal...plus does any1 no how long it is untill u can have sex again ...as im dying to start trying 4 a baby as ASAP
I had emergency surgery last week for ectopic.  I lost my right tube and ovary.  Still sore, crampy, bled everything out including the lining of the uterus.  Very sad, uncomfortable experience.
I do not even know if you will read this, but thank you for taking the time to write such a long and thorough response...I had an ectopic pregnancy 11 days ago and just didn't know if my symptoms were normal or not.  Your detailed explanation gave me some piece of mind as well as thing to watch out for - thank you so much!
I am so glad this site it here. I too am feeling devistated after my surgery and the loss of my baby. 5 days ago my right tube was removed along with my baby. My husband has taken really good care of me my as his wife I feel I have let him down. We are all scared to try again but I feel like it is my only hope to continue. I have never felt so alone. I'm grateful all of you are here and feel the same way. We are not alone we all have eachother.
I too am really glad for this site. My husband and I have been wanting to TTC for a year and a half. First I had a large cyst on my left ovary that was removed. Thank God my ovary was spared! But I was told I should not try to get pregnant for 6 months afterwards. Those 6 months of waitng to TTC were hard on both my husband and I. In April we started trying again and found out I was pregnant on Nov 18 only to find out it was an ectopic in my right tube a couple weeks later. We were devastated! I was given a methotrexate shot. I did have some cramping for a few hours and some nausea, extreme fatigue,  and dizziness for a week afterwards but besides that not much else. No bleeding. Then last Sunday I got severe cramps that kept intensifying and passed out because of the pain. I was taken to the ER and the radiology resident there said that it looked like I might have had an ovarian cyst rupture (I had 2 cysts on my right ovary). After I left the hospital, I started bleeding.  I made an appointment to follow up with my OB/GYNE and she took a look at the scans as well. She said it was not a cyst rupture, although it looked like my ectopic was resolving (my hcg levels are also falling, hence the bleeding)). However, she said she said it looks like there is a 4cm blood clot where my ectopic is/was. She said it makes sense as the cells are breaking down that theres going to be blood and I should wait for the clot to dissolve before TTC again. She said about a year!! But I any research I do regarding blood clots and ectopics say the tube needs to be removed in such situations. I am absolutely terrified of even thinking it could possibly come to that - although it is a scenario that my doctor did not mention. I have no children and more than anything want to be a mom. Has anyone ever heard of having blood clots resulting from a resolving ectopic? If so, do they go away??
Hi, i had to have my left tube removed on 1/31 i am 20yrs old and this was my first child. i feel so alone and my moods are crazy! i feel sad mad happy all within 15min. does anyone know whats going on with me? it is so hard because my boyfriend and i do not live together and i feel like he doesn't understand! i mean he is sad but got over it so fast. He has two kids a 2yr old and a 3yr old who i love very much but its just not the same because they are not mine. Is it wrong for me to feel this way? I guess what makes it even harder is i just don't understand why! the pain is going away but my tummy hurts on my left side where my tube was so i don't know if that means something is wrong. I want to thank who ever started this page because this is the hardest thing that has ever happened to me and it's great to read that others have still had babies and know what i'm going through even thought i wish this for no one!! I was j/w how long it took most of you to be back to yourself i just feel lost and don't really know where to go from here. I mean I know i want to be a mom but i am going to wait a year or two. But i guess what i am asking is were you close to your family,friends, and lover after or did you shut them out?
please let me know Mel
Hi... I am 2 years older than you, but just went through the same situation.  The hubby and I have been together for 5 years now and we thought we were ready to start a family after 3 months of ttc I was finally prego.  I really had no time to sit down and enjoy it because I had been having spotting the week before my period was due, then I had what I thought was my period on 2/4, but it felt weird, it just wasn't right.  I began feeling dizzie, sleepy (kinda  of what u feel when ur prego) I took a pregnancy test out of curiousity (never thinking it would be possitive, as I had done about 5 the week before) and there it was a + .... Ofcourse, I knew that there was something terribly wrong because I had had spotting and then my "period"... so there was obviously something wrong.  The hubby, my mom and I went to the ER and they did the internal sonogram ... to find... nothing.  The ER doctor questioned me about y I believed that I was prego.. I explained to her that I had done a preg test and it had come back positive ... she said that those tests are not very accurate.  The drew blood and my hcg levels were at 98...  When I got my discharge papers it read that It was a possible miscarriage.... I cried and cried but kinda got over it. (The paper also read, that the possibilities of it being an ECTOPIC pregnancy were very slim) mmmmm... not sure what they were looking for. .... so 3 days later I go and get my hcg levels tested again... ( I felt more pregnant than before) and they were up to 580... so yeah no miscarriage... ran to the ER again (at this point with severe pain in my right side) and was told that I had an ectopic pregnancy.... the dr. that did the surgery was very very nice... he gave me really high hopes! we really want to be parent's soon we we're recommended to wait 3-6 months.... Mu hubby was the best thing that could have happened to me... he was my biggest support and the only person that I wanted to hear anything from... Like one of the other girls mentioned I thought I had let him down so I felt really disappointed and depressed... He expreesed to me how deeply sorry he has and how much he loved me, he re-assured me that as soon as  we're ready to start trying again we would be blessed with a healthy baby.... Ofcourse I still have lots of doubts. Lilke your hubby mines was over it really quickly, he is really simpathetic to me, but the way he sees it is that we will be ready to try again in no time... over all i'm greatful that he is reacting this way... I dont need another sobbing negative person around me right now ... I need him to cheer me on not to cry with me.
I just found out i was having an Ectopic Preg. last wednesday 3/9, after my husband and i had been trying for a little over 6 months. HCG levels werent even out of the 400's, and then dropped slightly the same week. The Ectopic came as a surprise because i did not meet any of the risk factors that have been highlighted. I had the injection on the 9th and spent 4 days sick, could barely make it out of the bed. Finally started bleeding today the 14th and passing fairly large clots. Have an apt with the doctor this week to check levels again to make sure everything is still droppping. But my husband and i have been talking about when to try again (the doctor said atleast 3 months) but my fear is having to go through this again. I dont know if i can handle another Ectopic, and from all the stuff i have been reading not on just this site but others many women find it not only difficult to get pregnant after an Ectopic but have other Ectopics afterwards...
To try or not to try
hi everyboody im janette, i just had an ectopic preg. last april 17 actually this is my 3rd ectopic preg via IVF. i really feel so in pain, losing hope...and i don't know what to do. both my fallopian tubes are removed. so IVF is my only chance to concieve (conceive) a baby.pls pray for me that i may be able to overcome all this trials in my life..im so desperate to have a child....:(
I too have just had an ectopic pregnancy and had surgery to remove the embryo from my left tube last Thurs. It is now 6 days after the surgery and I'm tired, sore, and still bleeding. It's like a heavy period at this point w/the cramps and back pain to boot. I have been pregnant 5 times in 5 years and have had a rough and long road. I have had a still birth at 31 wks, then had a healthy baby girl in Nov. of 2008. I had an IUD put in shortly after having my daughter and was absolutely shocked I even got pregnant w/an IUD 2 1/2yrs afterwards. I went to the ER and they couldn't find a sac, but told me it's not etopic. I went to my OB/GYN the next day and he did an ultrasound and confirmed that it was. So I went from happieness, to devistation within 24 hrs. I am 32 years old and want to have 1 more child. I was told that I can as long as I have 1 good tube. My Dr. did cut out part of my left tube. From my HCG level which was a 1694, they said I was 5 wks along. I am in pain and wondering if this is normal. I am going to try again to have 1 more child, but will be getting the IUD out first. Then have to wait for 2 normal periods. Hope this helps.
I am just recovering from an ectopic pregnancy 13th may 2011 and it has been such an emotional rollercoaster. I found out I was pregnant on 10th may after doing a test because i was bleeding after ovulation. I went to the doctors who wanted to check my HCG levels to see what was going off. These levels were extremely high for 4 weeks pregnant so I was sent for a vaginal ultrasound. The ultrasound result was that i was pregnant 7 weeks to be exact and that the baby was happy, healthy and had a heartbeat but in my right tube :( . I was immediatley booked in for emergency surgery on the 13th to remove the pregnancy and the right tube by laproscopy.
I am still very sore (3 days after) and emotionally up and down but getting through it. It will be something I will never forget and will try later on for another but will always be paranoid about it too, I think that it is just natural to be paranoid.
The hospital were very good to me and explained everything in detail so I understood what is going on. I was told i have a 5% increase of this happening again and would have to see the early pregnancy assessment unit as soon as i find out i am pregnant again.
I have had some vaginal bleeding but nothing too heavy and few cramps too the worst is the pain in my tummy from being prodded and poked.
I just look forward to making a full recovery physically and hopefully emotionally.
I would like to say to anyone that has gone through what i have that i am sorry for your loss and time is a great healer :o)
I just had surgery on June 6, 2011. I had an ectopic pregnancy I was about six weeks pregnant. This is the second time it happened to me. First one was in May 2009 and my right tube had ruptured. My Husband had brought me into the ER on time bc blood started to go in my belly. However, this time we caught it sooner and I went into the ER. I also, had blood in my belly. Recovery isn't so bad. I experienced my period a week after both surgeries. Which is normal, but if you are bleeding alot changing your pad every hour you have to call your doctor. I was advised not to lift anything over 5 lbs 3-5 weeks. No driving for 2 weeks. My left tube was removed..Therefore, my only option is invitro. I'm able to do procedure in 7 months. They told me to give my body time to heal. Best wishes to you all.
I forgot to mention during my first experience with ectopic pregnancy the er doctor tried to order metrotraxate to abort baby. My OB Doctor was against it......He said you never know what is going on internally. Therefore, if I went home without having them call my OB..My right tube had ruptured already..The second ectopic they gave me the metrotraxate and I advised them what happened last time...They kept assuring me that I didn't rupture and I had no blood in my belly. They gave me the shot..My HCG levels tripled at my follow up. Therefore, it didn't work..When I had the surgery the Doctors did find a little blood in my belly....I would always recommend getting the surgery vrs the shot or the pill...
Hi All

I had my last period on 17 April 2011. I did home pregnancy tests every week since I missed my period and they all came out negative. My Dr told my I am not pregnant and I probably missed my period because i did not ovulate. But I felt pregnant, emotional ... On 14 June I felt very dizzy at work and fainted. I went to my Dr again, she said that it was probably because I had the flu. She gave me some antibiotics and send me home. Something did not feel right and I did another home test and this time it finally came out positive. Two days after I started to spot brown/black blood. I went to my OB for an ultrasound and they found no baby in the womb. My Dr spoke to me as if I made up that i had a positive preganancy test. But I asked about an ectopic pregnancy because I was worried since I only have 1 tube. They then did a blood test which confirmed the pregnancy. My OB recommended that they do an operation to see what is going on inside the tube since they could not see clearly on the ultrasound. I did not have the emotional and physical strenght to go through another operation since I had a c section a year ago. So I looked for a second opinion. That OB did a laproscopy last week and I am feeling fine. I had a lot of bleeding the first couple of days but am starting to feel better now. They were able to save the tube even though I was 9 weeks pregnant!!! I am hoping to try again soon since I really want a second baby. All I can say is trust your instinct if something does not feel right look for the answers until you find them, if i just went home and did not insist on a blood test maybe my tube would have burst by now.
I know all these comments are from 2006 but I experienced my first pregnancy and it was in my tube...I was 9 weeks pregnant....it hurts to know that the baby never had a chance. I had the surgery on sat the day after my 28th bday.....knowing that I am not alone has helped me tremendously. I searched what to expect after the surgery and this post came up....it's only been 4 days since I went thru my ordeal....I still cry at times. it's the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with and I know it will take time...I only bled for 2 days. I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories...:-)
I had an ectopic pregnancy June 10th removed. It was hard both emotionally and physically. I finally went back to work after 2 weeks and then my work complained that I should not have been out all that time and I should have come back June 13th. I was yelled at by employee health on the 27th when I returned to work and then they called a few times to complain. Even though it is a hospital where I work you think they would know recovery time is at least a couple weeks. I go to the doctor tomorrow and if she doesn't give me a note for light duty still I have to lift 200 lb patients again. I know I am not ready to do all that lifting since I still have pain. This was my 11th surgery and I am 38 so I know I need to recover or I can re-injure myself. Pray for me sisters. I will pray for all of you and the sweet babies we all lost.  
I had surgery to remove my left tube and pregnancy 6/22/11. My hcg level was around 9,000 day of surgery. Apparently my hcg level is still not to zero because hpt's are still faint positive. I wonder how long it is going to take for hcg to go to zero so I can ovulate again.
I just had my surgery on the 27th of june i went to my drs last week on tuesday he removed the staples and he told me that it was ok for me to have sex and now im freaking out i dont know if it was ok or not i was thinking about taking the morning after pill cause i am very scared
I can feel all your pain and loss... I just  went through the exact same. 14 years ago 2 doc's told me that I won't get pregnant anymore after a miscarriage and 2 ectopics (removed  right tube)....however,when you least expect it it hits you!!! I 'm never late and took a test 8/7/11...positive... I freaked out and went the same day to my OB who confirmed my pregnancy....from that day on I lived in permanent fear...every week I had to get my HCG checked and  got a US. Nothing to see in week 4, nothing to see in week 6 and nothing to see in week 8 (not in the uterus  or tube)! HCG went up to 11,550.But I started having  ligth pain on my left side. My OB  talked to me after ther last US telling me I have to get the methotrexate....I received  the methotrexate 8/2/11. He explained the  side effects and thats it...no emotional support whatsoever. After I got the methotrexate I was extremly down and depressed...
I have to run twice a week to get my HCG leveles checked which slowly drop down...from 15,500 to 12,005...not sure what the level be tomorrow. I once read they are not supposed to give you the methotrexate when your HCG levels are over 6,000-cuz its too risky....
All I can say all the mood swings, sadness, and depression are normal...we have to go through all this in order to heal...it's just so hard to understand "WHY ME"... good luck to all of you!
I am so thankful to have found this page... I had my "tubes tied" seven years ago. So when I went to the E.R with stomach pains, I had no idea it could be because i was pregnant!  Then to find out it was a tubal-pregnancy was more than confusing to me.. It has been ten days today since my laprascopic surgery, the doc did remove my left tube along with the baby.? To say I am emotionally drained is an under statement..... I think the only word to sum it up could be "EMPTY"... I beleieve by each passing day it will get easier! I just hope I can come to terms will the fact I am a mother of two, or will I always be wishing for three???????
hi, im 24 yrs old married to the love of my life we tried very hard for 7yrs to concieve (conceive) and it finally happened i was in shock i couldnt believe i was finally pregnant!!!the first thing i did was call everyone i knew and told them the news,but about a week after finding out i had some pain in my stomache it felt like alot of pressure on my uterous but i thought it was normal and the whole time in my mind i knew something just wasnt right i spotted brown the whole time so my first visit to the hospital i told them what was going on they did an ultrasound and couldnt find the baby i was 5 weeks and they said it was to small to see my hcg levels were fine they said to just take it easy so i did a few weeks later i was still spotting brown so again i went to the er and again they said i was fine even though in my heart i knew something just wasnt right so at 9 weeks preg it was about 1 am i started having terrible cramping i thought it was just gas so i took some gas pills well the cramping got worst it was unbearable i was throwing up and i couldnt breathe my neck hurt so bad whitch i couldnt understand y so i layed on the couch in so much pain thinking i was misscarring but did not want to tell my husband so i told him to go to bed as i lay there in the wprst pain ive ever felt not being able to move i fell asleep the next mourning the pain was worst i try to get off the couch and was in so muuch pain i called for my husband and told him to carry me to bed so i lay in bed to scared to move or tell him what was happing so finally i let a few hours pass and i call him an tell him take me to the hospital im losing the baby so he did they rushed me in an ambulance to another hospital where the told me it was ectopic and my tube rupured and i had to have surgery now or i would die i was devestaed i screamed an cried my husband was so hurt by our loss it has been a mounth now and im still mourning the loss of my baby i was stubbern and did not get on birth control and now im spotting again i dont know if this is normal? should this be a period or is it happing again please pray for me
I just had surgery to remove my left tube and my 7 week pregnancy that my husband and I had tried for- for nearly two years. Initially, my severe left side pains were diagnosed as a massive UTI and I was sent off with antibiotics : ( I had spotted from day one, and that turned to bleeding when the pains came. A week after my misdiagnosis I had what appeared to be a miscarriage, passing a clot after a night of severe cramping and uterine pain. An ultrasound revealed an empty uterus, however they should've tested me for pregnancy or tested my hcg levels, and I should've insisted they did.

Another week passed and the pain came back on my left side. The ER doctors wanted to send me off again with another UTI. I asked them to test me for pregnancy, as I was suspicious.. They suggested an ultrasound to check my kidneys and bladder for infection. There was none, but the u/s tech found something in my tube and requested a second scan. She saved my life that night. My pregnancy test came back positive but my hcg levels were low. I went into surgery in the morning to have our poor baby and my left tube removed.

For anyone wanting to know what's normal and what's not, it depends on the individual.. However, I will say that the depression and feelings of loss or let down to yourself and your husband are common. I am currently a self-loathing wreck and have lost all hope for a child. I am 38 years old and we were trying for our first baby. We only wanted one. After almost two years of unsuccessful trying and now this, I have no more desire or hope to try anymore with one tube and the possibility of having to go through another ectopic and losing the one tube I have left...

I am sore from the surgery, dealing with a lot of abdominal gas bubbles, bloating and discomfort, and some vaginal bleeding. But I haven't really needed anything for actual "pain".. This has been my experience since my surgery two days ago. I hope this helps anyone trying to find answers or just general support for this subject. I know how devastating it is...
My husband and I had been trying for over two years and had started seeing a fertility doctor and in the mean time got pregnant on our own only to misscarry at 7 weeks. A few months later we were set to start fertility treatments and I took Serophen to help ovulate. On day 10 after having anormal period my they noticed my progesterone levels were high and did a pregnancy test. We found out I was pregnant on thanksgiving and said that I would have conceived sometime in September but we didn't know how far along I was and they were going to do an ultrasound at the end of October to get a due date. In the mean time (the friday after finding out we were pregnant) I started having severe right side pain and assumed I was misscarrying again and just waited for bleeding (which never came). I woke up the next morning and the pain was gone but later that morning I had some bright red bleeding that didn't last long at all and my doctor insisted that I go to emergency. I did only for them to tell me that my hcg levels were still up but it was too early to see anything in the uterus and to come back on Monday for another US and bloodwork. We left thinking everything was fine as after an internal exam my cervix was still closed and purple as in a normal pregnancy. They said they saw some fluid in my right fellopian tube so assumed my pain was from a cyst bursting and not to worry. We went back in on the MOnday and they still could not see anything on US and my hcg levels had dropped again. They said we had to assume that it was an ectopic pregnancy and the pain was likely it aporting itself and leaving my tube. My hcg levels had to be monitored and they continued to drop until a week and half later at which point they started to rise again. They did another US to still see nothing in my uterus or tube and said they think it has implanted somewhere else and has started to grow again but they can't find it so I needed to take the metho shot to terminate whatever was still there. That was two days ago and I have been an emotional mess and have just had light brown periodic spotting that stopped as of today (which I had had for about a week prior). I have not had pain since Friday two weeks ago and no more significant bleeding. I am worried that I may have gotten pregnant again when my levels had dropped and that is why they started going back up and that I may have just terminated a healthy pregnancy (although I know very unlikely). Should I expect bleeding to start soon and will it be accompanied by pain and cloating? How long does it last? My doctor has not told me to hold off on sex and really hasn't given me any direction on what to expect or what our next steps are so I am clueless at this point. I assume if I do get bleeding that it is similar to a misscariage and that you are not to use tampons but again was not directed one way or another so don't really know. I was told that when my levels reach zero I will have a period and then then at my following cycle they will do a sonohistogram to determine how much damage was caused to my tube. She didn't think I needed to wait three months to try again as my uterus wasn't affected. I feel like I am in good hands since this has all been done through a fertility clinic but after reading allt he above posts I am thinking that they messed up and I should have had surgery and not sure where I should go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stephanie
I just had an ectopic pregnancy removed 4 days ago, December 28,2011. Im trying to figure out if i even feel normal anymore, I know normal is an understatement, but i just dont feel whole anymore. I had my left tube removed and they had to make 3 incisions to do it. I have an ongoing joke about the fact my eggs are only good every 5 years, I have a 13 year old a 5 year old and a 2 year old. they were Dec 1998, Feb 2004 and Nov 2009. in between them all i had 2 miscarriages, I lost another one in Dec of last year. This one was a surprise and I tried preparing myself for another mc. It became an ectopic. The depression hit me today on all points. I lost another one and im not a whole woman anymore. I have an old man that just cant understand anything and is gone 3 weeks out of the month to begin with. I cant depend on him and I cant leave it up to my babies wither to take care of anything, Im scared something is going to go wrong. I started bleeding yesterday big huge clots and then I stopped. I hurt everywhere. I know I have to do what has to be done and finding it very hard to explain to my husband what I am going through. Id there somewhere I can send huim to read up on what just happened to me and what we need to expect for the recovery period? I asked the doc but of course my husband was not around to get any information on it. How do I open up on what I am feeling and hopefully help myself as well as my family?
Anyone have lick conceiving naturally and getting to full term after an ectopic? I am most concerned about this aspect I am ok and come to terms with the fact that I had an ectopic rupture last week. I am most concerned about the ability to conceive after.
i had an ectopic pregnancy dec 21st 2011 and i am still having pain from the surgery i had ..it will be three weeks this wednesday jan 11th 2012 i am still very upset from this experience my left tube ruptured and i had to have emergency surgery spent the night in the hospital i remember when i got out of surgery the ob dr that did the surgery had showed me pictures of the ruputured tube and the baby i was still kida out of it from the meds they had me on i cant get the pics i seen out of my head i didnt even give permission to see them i dont remember much however the dr. wouldnt even tell my husband that i was out of surgery or anything that had happened for that matter unfortunately i had to be the bearer of bad news and tell my husband the took my tube and the baby ive been crying and very depressed ever since ...i had a m/c in november a few week prior to the ectopic ...my dr advised me not to have intercourse for at least one year sadly i cant get my husband to understand that if we were to have sex then it can cause severe damage to my organs but he dnt seem to care be cause he throws a fit like a toddler if he doesnt get his way what do i do ? i am so scared of this happening again ...
I'm sorry for your loss. You need to give your body the time it needs to heal. In 2007 I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was 8 wks, my left tube ruptured. They removed my left tube, part of my left ovary, and part of my right tube and told me i wouldn't be able to get pregnant, unless i did IVF for atleast a year. I went through all the emotions of loss, denial, depression, acceptance.....  In 2009 I gave birth to a 9 pound boy, without any fertility help. A Dr. can only give you his/her medical opinion, but they arent God. I'm sorry for everyones loss on this site. The most important thing you can do, is give your body time to heal.
Hi there, I had ectopic pregnancy surgery 2 days ago (18 jan 2012) and I think I'm still in a state if shock. This is not what we expected to find, here is my story, I have 2 children, daughter almost 9 and son just over 6, I have had almost constant bleeding for the 6 years since my son was born, I had a d&c immediately after having him naturally and and another d&c about a year later with no help for the bleeding. After the bleeding didn't stop after trying 12 different types of contraceptive pills I was referred to a gyne to have a mirena placed (worst thing ever!!) itsde it so much worse. I know I should have seen another gp but have been going to her for 11 years and trusted her, anyway 2 weeks ago I had had enough I went in, broke down and told her what my life has been like, used to be a distance runner training 6 days a week to now struggling to get out of bed, constant lethargy and very moody, emotionally all over the place as well. I finally asked for a referral which I got and within a few days had an appointment with a very thorough gynaecologist. She listened to me for ages, examined me and looked at my ultrasound report ( I requested the ultrasound) and recommended surgery asap, in just over a week I was in surgery and was hopeful to finally get an answer to the cause of my bleeding, except on recovery the first thing she said to me was that I shocked her!! She found a ruptured ectopic pregnancy!!! Apparently it's common with having a mirena but now I feel lost, totally devastated that I've lost a baby, even though we weren't trying for one, but other than dysfunctional bleeding she can't explain my years of problems. I know I'm lucky they found the ruptured ectopic and that it can be dangerous but not only do I still not have any answers I now have lost a baby too and have been told if I want to have another we will need IVF, I feel so lost and sure from surgery.  I know I need time to heal but would love to hear from anyone with a similar experience. (I was expecting to be told I had endometriosis not an ectopic pregnancy) and yes I would love another baby but don't think I can put my family through that. Also, I had the mirena removed at the same time as surgery 2 days ago, I had a small amount of bleeding the daybif surgery but nothing since, my gyne said to expect heavy bleeding but when should this start, I'll ring her later too but wanted to ask in here of your experiences. Mel
Hi All,

Heres my experience with my 1st pregnancy after 2 yrs of trying which was Ectopic. The reason I write in detail is mayb someone might find something of help here.

On 8th of Jan I had excruciating pain in lower abdomen and back and started spotting. Thought I was going to have a period. After 2 days no period, was still spotting. Googled my symptoms n they suggested I mayb pregnant. Did HPT on 11th Jan which came out positive. A few seconds later I started bleeding wid lower left abdominal pain. I thought i was miscarrying n went to A & E. They did a BHCG Test and scan. Scan revealed no sac and HCG came back 669. They asked me to repeat HCG in 2 days. Bhcg on 13th Jan came back at 1293 which had doubled as shud hav. I was told it looked like a very viable pregnancy and come bak for a scan in 4 days. We were so happy that day.

Scan on 18th Jan failed to reveal a gestational sac. They did another BHCG which came bak at 1930..not a good sign. The suspected either a failing pregnancy or ectopic. Another BHCG scheduled on 20th and a couple more stressful days.

Blood test on 20th Jan came bak 2100 n scan was suggestive of ectopic. Dr. suggested laporoscopy and removal of the tube. They did not suggest methotrexate as it wud mean 6 months of waiting to try again. Was taken in surgery same day 20th Jan. During surgery they found the ectopic on the end of the left tube(fimbliar region). They think it was a natural spontanoeous tubal abortion which had tried to keep growing by clinging to the end. They could remove it without harming the tubes. That is the only positive out of this n we consider ourselves lucky.

After surgery I dont have much pain from the surgery wounds. However I have had extreme cramping and bleeding with clots and grey tissue since last 2 days. The bleeding n pain has gone down today...day 3. BHCG on 23 Jan dropped to 300 from 2100. Nurse says to do a HPT which should come back negative in a weeks time.

Saw my Gynac today the 24th Jan. Feel much better after talking to him. He was able to discuss my surgery wid us. Said I can try after my first period. Shud b able to concieve (conceive). Did tell me I m at a higher risk of ectopic. Told me even a lap n dye test cannot always find tubal damage and rather we shud go ahead n try naturally for next 3-4 months. He did ask to monitor ovulation a period very closely to detect pregnancy asap n to go scan at the early pregnancy unit in case of a positive pregnancy for early detection of ectopic. He also suggested going for IVF in case of anoder ectopic or failing to concieve (conceive) by may.

This experience has thought me a lot. I was able to get thru it sanely from reading countless blogs n forums on ectopic pregnancies. The many posts prepared me for what to expect n understand my case better. I hope everyone who is trying is blessed wid a successful pregnancy soon and keeping my fingers crossed for r journey from here on :)
Your story sounds basically the same as mine. the only thing is I knew something was wrong for 2 weeks and know one wanted to listen to me. I had to pass out before anything was done. So I ended up having the chemo shot, passing out, having the surgery and having my tube out in the end. This all happened to me last week. I feel so alone. I'm also sick of hearing everything will be okay from my husband an some others. It won't be okay. I won't have my baby on September 12 and I won't get my tube back, that's not okay. I do have two children already. So when I grieve I feel ashamed. Do I have the right? some women aren't able to have any children? I also fear that I will never be able to grow another child inside of me again because I am damaged. I feel like I have know one right now, not even my husband.......He's getting ready to go watch the super bowl tonight......that's what's on his mind!
I'm so sorry for your loss, I too have 2 children already and have been told without ivf I can't have anymore. I would have loved a third but can't help feeling I'm being selfish, considering others have no children. People often say to me, "well at least you have 2 already" believe me I am very grateful for them but does that mean I can't grieve for the one I just lost. My surgery was just over 2 weeks ago, I had another appointment on Friday with my gyne and she said she went in looking for endometriosis or cancer which she suspected based on symptoms I've had for a few years, got no answers for that and still have more testing ahead and by chance found the ectopic and it had ruptured the day of surgery :( lost my left tube and right is totally blocked, very little chance of falling pregnant, and about 90% chance of it being ectopic again if I did :( it's so hard to accept and I too feel o have no one talk to. Please give yourself time and give those children of yours some extra cuddles, best of luck and please let us know how you go. Mel
thank you for sharing your story with us
I had one dec. 28 2011 . My fiancé and I have just recently decided to try again but after reading all the stories from u guys I'm kinda scared to be honest .. When we were trying after our first two m/c I used to get sad every time af came to visit .... Two days after my birthday I found out I was pregnant but then when we went to see our baby it was there . I cried my heart out in his arms and he told me how he still had me and I had him and we could always try for another well wish me the best of luck.... #ttc
I just had an unexpected ectopic removed surgically on Friday.  I lost my right tube also.  We have been TTC for 5.5 years, and had 4 IUI's with success on the last one.  I had no symptoms of ectopic at all.  No pain, no bleeding, doubling HCG, started getting morning sickness, etc.  We had an early ultrasound because of the IUI, and that's when it was discovered.  It was a perfectly growing 6 week embryo, heartbeat and all, just firmly lodged in my right tube.  Because of it's size it had to be surgically removed, and because of the attempt to remove just the embryo the tube started to bleed out badly so I lost that too.  We have male factor infertility and need IUI or IVF to conceive, so I feel like this was a cruel joke and now the odds are stacked even higher against us.

Physically, my recovery has been good.  I started spotting 4 days after the surgery, and it is full flow now.  No major pain or cramping so far.  I need to have a HSG done to see how my other tube is before we can go back to TTC with treatments.  I expect that will be in another 2 or 3 months.

Emotionally I've been up and down.  Philosophical some of the time, and grief-stricken at other times.  I'm sure with the passage of time it will get better.  

My thoughts are with anyone who has to go through this.
They can't always find it early enough by serial hcg betas. I had my first ectopic oct 2011 and my 2nd March 2012. I am still recovering. Localized pain on just one side was MY indicator to seek out additional opinions. I was not listened to the 1st or 2nd time. The radiologist didn't put in my report what my ob said should've been seen. I am 22 years old and have lost both of my fallopian tubes. My 1st ectopic i had ZERO bleeding.. my 2nd... by the time i started bleeding it was too late. And with my hcg levels they both had doubled normal as they should have.. if you ever suspect ectopic and someone isn't listening i would highly suggest getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion
I want to first thank everyone on here for being so honest about this. I just had an ectopic pg April 26,2012. I went to the doctor three times in one week and just kept feeling pain in my left side. The last doctor told me I had a UTI but knew it was something else so I asked here to do a pregnancy test and it came back positive that was on a Thursday. On Saturday I was bleeding went to the ER and they did a vaginal ultrasound and found out my pregnancy was ectropic they give me the two shots and sent me home. But didn't really explain how it worked. I endured four more days of pain went to my GYN and set up my surgery because I could not desk with the pain any longer. I have two kids already and I was not trying to get pregnant I know that it was a blessing from God for me even to get pregnant again due to so much scar tissue I have from my two previous C-section. I'm really sad because I feel like in just a seven day span I was give a baby only for him or her to be taken away. My kids are 17 and  9 but the guy I date don't have any kids in a way I feel I let him down. He's been supportive completely the good thing is that the doctor got to explain what was going to him. I just want you all to know that my heart goes out to you because it's very hard to understand and get over the list of a child no matter how it happens. I lost my right tube when the did the surgery but I still have my life. I'm depressed and I sometime cry just out the blue but I know every day will get better . My God bless you all and good luck. Just remember anything is possible if you put it in God's hand and for get about! Let him take care of it! Felicia B
I had an ectopic pregnancy 7 years ago, which led to my right tube removed. It has been 5 days now im having pains on the side that had ectpic, i hv consulted doctors, they gave me pills which are not helping, i sleep 30minutes and wake up with pain that last 1 hour to 2 hours, im suffering PLEASE HELP
i just had an ectopic pregnancy two weeks ago today, if anyone would like to talk about there experence i would to hear it. ***@****
Hi ,
I am so grateful for this site. It is so good to know even though disappointing that so many other women went through this. I just had an Ectopic pregnancy  6 days ago. i didn't even know that i was Preggo. I knew that something wasn't right though. I had pain in my vagina and pelvic area and was spotting for a month.  My husband suspected a pregnancy but i was in denial.  We have been married for 11 yrs and had a  failed IVF a very early m/c 4 yrs ago so I kinda didn't believe we could do it. I  should've heeded the signs though because i was on a boat when i experienced the severe sharp pains and i also fainted. At the hospital test was positive. found out i was preggo but could be ectoptic . i was hopeful that a miracle could happen. i  was so excited to know that he had a strong heartbeat and was there for 9 whole weeks. they told me the dangers had to have an emergency op. found out he ruptured my right tube had to have it removed. my life just was a complete flash things happened so fast finding out he was there then he was gone. Seeing the photo of him was priceless he was already formed with his eyes and nose and feet so precious. he fought to be here but God knew best. Can't believe i  loved him so much already. Any way had no bleeding until the 4th day severe vaginal and abdominal pains the 5th day to release big clump of blood . only light pains and bleeding now. have appt with OB tomorrow. she says there is still hope with one tube so i will keep the faith. So sorry for the loss of so many women on here and i sincerely pray God's best for all of you as you heal and overcome this stage of your lives.
Hi again, I have posted a couple of times on this thread but wanted to share what is hopefully good news. In short here is my story. January 18th 2012 surgery for ruptured ectopic, lost a Fallopian tube too. Also found out my other tube is completely blocked so only chance if pregnancy would be through IVF. June 1st 2012 had a follow up appointment with the specialist and she said the chances of me falling pregnant are so slim it's not worth going back on contraceptives. It is now almost mid July and I just had a positive home pregnancy test, I had a feeling I was pregnant and was late so tested and sure enough. Now we have the anxious wait to check its not another ectopic  but I have a feeling all us ok, fingers crossed..... Just wanted to share as I know how difficult this is to go through and even if you have been told you can't have any more children naturally, miracles can and do happen. Best of luck to you all and I'll check back when it's confirmed my pregnancy isn't ectopic this time.
Congratulations.
I thought our story also can be shared here to help others in similar situation.
My wife is going to undergo surgery to remove her ruptured tube and subsequently the pregnancy will also be terminated eventually.
She also had a raptured tube in 2005 jan and removed and lost our first baby. Then we have been blessed by God with a daughter in 2006 sep and a son in 2008 july,both through natural conceiving  doctors said we are really blessed. She is 34years and Im 40 now.
However, now she is getting her other tube removed tomorrow by surgery and praying to God to give her mental and physical strength and make everything go normal.
We dont know if there are chances for getting pregnant naturally and want to know if we have to take any contraceptive to avoid getting pregnant.
But, we will be ever be thankful to God for blessing us with two lovely children.
We will also pray that your pregnancy is not ectopic and to give you good health and healthy baby. Good luck. Please do remember to pray for my wife.
hi there  i have had an etopic pregancy although to this day unsure what side was removed, i have scar on right if that means anything, had to have tube removed as had ruptered(7 weeks) i have found out yesterday that i am now pregnant, i have pcos, i have also had pain, awaiting results of blood tests and scared! but i managed to get pregnant just praying baby is settling in utus xx
I had one too on March 19, 2013 but I didnt have any kind of surgry my dr gave me a shot on both sides of my hip. I can't think of the name of the shot but he told me that it was very affective. It took a week for my pain to start but when it did i couldn't move, walk or use the bathroom without any help from my husband. the dr told me that it could happen again but I'm ready to try again since he said that i am just as fertile but my cycle didn't start yet.
Hi.  May I ask what was your outcome.  I am in that very same situation  right now.  2 months in he ruptured and my left side had to be remove my tube as well that 9/9/13.  My right side has been blocked since I was 21 and was trying.  Now after the removal I wonder if there is even a slim chance/miracle that it could even happen without IVF.  I have to be honest as bad as I wanted to be a mother I am totally scared of an etopic would happen again.  I am 34 soon to be 35 in march,  could my age be a factor ?