what to expect after ectopic??
I had surgery late saturday evening for an ectopic pregnancy..  This was my second m/c this year.  I don't know what to expect.  The dr took out my tube and pregnancy but I don't have any bleeding..  when will I start??  will I have severe cramping and how ling will it last??  I feel so alone as I write this.  I think it just hit me I lost another baby... the dr said I can try in three months..  I don't know if I can handle another loss..  This is the first I've cried since Saturday..  I expected to m/c as I was told I would..  so I thought I was prepared enough but how do I get through this...thanks for listening...
THANK YOU! That is so good to hear. I really haven't found a lot of people that get pregnant right away! Did you start trying on your first ovulation or did you wait a couple of months? I'm sorry if that is to personal, I just am really curious..
I have been the same way, just want to get back to normal. I am DYING to go back to work, but they want me to wait until next week. Everything I do makes me feel like I have run a marathon...did you feel like that and if so how long did it last?
i am so upset about this i had my baby removed and right tube last night and have bin let home 2day i feel brusied all ova my tummy ..legs..and arms is this normal...plus does any1 no how long it is untill u can have sex again ...as im dying to start trying 4 a baby as ASAP
I had emergency surgery last week for ectopic.  I lost my right tube and ovary.  Still sore, crampy, bled everything out including the lining of the uterus.  Very sad, uncomfortable experience.
I do not even know if you will read this, but thank you for taking the time to write such a long and thorough response...I had an ectopic pregnancy 11 days ago and just didn't know if my symptoms were normal or not.  Your detailed explanation gave me some piece of mind as well as thing to watch out for - thank you so much!
I am so glad this site it here. I too am feeling devistated after my surgery and the loss of my baby. 5 days ago my right tube was removed along with my baby. My husband has taken really good care of me my as his wife I feel I have let him down. We are all scared to try again but I feel like it is my only hope to continue. I have never felt so alone. I'm grateful all of you are here and feel the same way. We are not alone we all have eachother.
I too am really glad for this site. My husband and I have been wanting to TTC for a year and a half. First I had a large cyst on my left ovary that was removed. Thank God my ovary was spared! But I was told I should not try to get pregnant for 6 months afterwards. Those 6 months of waitng to TTC were hard on both my husband and I. In April we started trying again and found out I was pregnant on Nov 18 only to find out it was an ectopic in my right tube a couple weeks later. We were devastated! I was given a methotrexate shot. I did have some cramping for a few hours and some nausea, extreme fatigue,  and dizziness for a week afterwards but besides that not much else. No bleeding. Then last Sunday I got severe cramps that kept intensifying and passed out because of the pain. I was taken to the ER and the radiology resident there said that it looked like I might have had an ovarian cyst rupture (I had 2 cysts on my right ovary). After I left the hospital, I started bleeding.  I made an appointment to follow up with my OB/GYNE and she took a look at the scans as well. She said it was not a cyst rupture, although it looked like my ectopic was resolving (my hcg levels are also falling, hence the bleeding)). However, she said she said it looks like there is a 4cm blood clot where my ectopic is/was. She said it makes sense as the cells are breaking down that theres going to be blood and I should wait for the clot to dissolve before TTC again. She said about a year!! But I any research I do regarding blood clots and ectopics say the tube needs to be removed in such situations. I am absolutely terrified of even thinking it could possibly come to that - although it is a scenario that my doctor did not mention. I have no children and more than anything want to be a mom. Has anyone ever heard of having blood clots resulting from a resolving ectopic? If so, do they go away??
Hi, i had to have my left tube removed on 1/31 i am 20yrs old and this was my first child. i feel so alone and my moods are crazy! i feel sad mad happy all within 15min. does anyone know whats going on with me? it is so hard because my boyfriend and i do not live together and i feel like he doesn't understand! i mean he is sad but got over it so fast. He has two kids a 2yr old and a 3yr old who i love very much but its just not the same because they are not mine. Is it wrong for me to feel this way? I guess what makes it even harder is i just don't understand why! the pain is going away but my tummy hurts on my left side where my tube was so i don't know if that means something is wrong. I want to thank who ever started this page because this is the hardest thing that has ever happened to me and it's great to read that others have still had babies and know what i'm going through even thought i wish this for no one!! I was j/w how long it took most of you to be back to yourself i just feel lost and don't really know where to go from here. I mean I know i want to be a mom but i am going to wait a year or two. But i guess what i am asking is were you close to your family,friends, and lover after or did you shut them out?
please let me know Mel
Hi... I am 2 years older than you, but just went through the same situation.  The hubby and I have been together for 5 years now and we thought we were ready to start a family after 3 months of ttc I was finally prego.  I really had no time to sit down and enjoy it because I had been having spotting the week before my period was due, then I had what I thought was my period on 2/4, but it felt weird, it just wasn't right.  I began feeling dizzie, sleepy (kinda  of what u feel when ur prego) I took a pregnancy test out of curiousity (never thinking it would be possitive, as I had done about 5 the week before) and there it was a + .... Ofcourse, I knew that there was something terribly wrong because I had had spotting and then my "period"... so there was obviously something wrong.  The hubby, my mom and I went to the ER and they did the internal sonogram ... to find... nothing.  The ER doctor questioned me about y I believed that I was prego.. I explained to her that I had done a preg test and it had come back positive ... she said that those tests are not very accurate.  The drew blood and my hcg levels were at 98...  When I got my discharge papers it read that It was a possible miscarriage.... I cried and cried but kinda got over it. (The paper also read, that the possibilities of it being an ECTOPIC pregnancy were very slim) mmmmm... not sure what they were looking for. .... so 3 days later I go and get my hcg levels tested again... ( I felt more pregnant than before) and they were up to 580... so yeah no miscarriage... ran to the ER again (at this point with severe pain in my right side) and was told that I had an ectopic pregnancy.... the dr. that did the surgery was very very nice... he gave me really high hopes! we really want to be parent's soon we we're recommended to wait 3-6 months.... Mu hubby was the best thing that could have happened to me... he was my biggest support and the only person that I wanted to hear anything from... Like one of the other girls mentioned I thought I had let him down so I felt really disappointed and depressed... He expreesed to me how deeply sorry he has and how much he loved me, he re-assured me that as soon as  we're ready to start trying again we would be blessed with a healthy baby.... Ofcourse I still have lots of doubts. Lilke your hubby mines was over it really quickly, he is really simpathetic to me, but the way he sees it is that we will be ready to try again in no time... over all i'm greatful that he is reacting this way... I dont need another sobbing negative person around me right now ... I need him to cheer me on not to cry with me.
I just found out i was having an Ectopic Preg. last wednesday 3/9, after my husband and i had been trying for a little over 6 months. HCG levels werent even out of the 400's, and then dropped slightly the same week. The Ectopic came as a surprise because i did not meet any of the risk factors that have been highlighted. I had the injection on the 9th and spent 4 days sick, could barely make it out of the bed. Finally started bleeding today the 14th and passing fairly large clots. Have an apt with the doctor this week to check levels again to make sure everything is still droppping. But my husband and i have been talking about when to try again (the doctor said atleast 3 months) but my fear is having to go through this again. I dont know if i can handle another Ectopic, and from all the stuff i have been reading not on just this site but others many women find it not only difficult to get pregnant after an Ectopic but have other Ectopics afterwards...
To try or not to try
hi everyboody im janette, i just had an ectopic preg. last april 17 actually this is my 3rd ectopic preg via IVF. i really feel so in pain, losing hope...and i don't know what to do. both my fallopian tubes are removed. so IVF is my only chance to concieve a baby.pls pray for me that i may be able to overcome all this trials in my life..im so desperate to have a child....:(
I too have just had an ectopic pregnancy and had surgery to remove the embryo from my left tube last Thurs. It is now 6 days after the surgery and I'm tired, sore, and still bleeding. It's like a heavy period at this point w/the cramps and back pain to boot. I have been pregnant 5 times in 5 years and have had a rough and long road. I have had a still birth at 31 wks, then had a healthy baby girl in Nov. of 2008. I had an IUD put in shortly after having my daughter and was absolutely shocked I even got pregnant w/an IUD 2 1/2yrs afterwards. I went to the ER and they couldn't find a sac, but told me it's not etopic. I went to my OB/GYN the next day and he did an ultrasound and confirmed that it was. So I went from happieness, to devistation within 24 hrs. I am 32 years old and want to have 1 more child. I was told that I can as long as I have 1 good tube. My Dr. did cut out part of my left tube. From my HCG level which was a 1694, they said I was 5 wks along. I am in pain and wondering if this is normal. I am going to try again to have 1 more child, but will be getting the IUD out first. Then have to wait for 2 normal periods. Hope this helps.
I am just recovering from an ectopic pregnancy 13th may 2011 and it has been such an emotional rollercoaster. I found out I was pregnant on 10th may after doing a test because i was bleeding after ovulation. I went to the doctors who wanted to check my HCG levels to see what was going off. These levels were extremely high for 4 weeks pregnant so I was sent for a vaginal ultrasound. The ultrasound result was that i was pregnant 7 weeks to be exact and that the baby was happy, healthy and had a heartbeat but in my right tube :( . I was immediatley booked in for emergency surgery on the 13th to remove the pregnancy and the right tube by laproscopy.
I am still very sore (3 days after) and emotionally up and down but getting through it. It will be something I will never forget and will try later on for another but will always be paranoid about it too, I think that it is just natural to be paranoid.
The hospital were very good to me and explained everything in detail so I understood what is going on. I was told i have a 5% increase of this happening again and would have to see the early pregnancy assessment unit as soon as i find out i am pregnant again.
I have had some vaginal bleeding but nothing too heavy and few cramps too the worst is the pain in my tummy from being prodded and poked.
I just look forward to making a full recovery physically and hopefully emotionally.
I would like to say to anyone that has gone through what i have that i am sorry for your loss and time is a great healer :o)
I just had surgery on June 6, 2011. I had an ectopic pregnancy I was about six weeks pregnant. This is the second time it happened to me. First one was in May 2009 and my right tube had ruptured. My Husband had brought me into the ER on time bc blood started to go in my belly. However, this time we caught it sooner and I went into the ER. I also, had blood in my belly. Recovery isn't so bad. I experienced my period a week after both surgeries. Which is normal, but if you are bleeding alot changing your pad every hour you have to call your doctor. I was advised not to lift anything over 5 lbs 3-5 weeks. No driving for 2 weeks. My left tube was removed..Therefore, my only option is invitro. I'm able to do procedure in 7 months. They told me to give my body time to heal. Best wishes to you all.
I forgot to mention during my first experience with ectopic pregnancy the er doctor tried to order metrotraxate to abort baby. My OB Doctor was against it......He said you never know what is going on internally. Therefore, if I went home without having them call my OB..My right tube had ruptured already..The second ectopic they gave me the metrotraxate and I advised them what happened last time...They kept assuring me that I didn't rupture and I had no blood in my belly. They gave me the shot..My HCG levels tripled at my follow up. Therefore, it didn't work..When I had the surgery the Doctors did find a little blood in my belly....I would always recommend getting the surgery vrs the shot or the pill...
Hi All

I had my last period on 17 April 2011. I did home pregnancy tests every week since I missed my period and they all came out negative. My Dr told my I am not pregnant and I probably missed my period because i did not ovulate. But I felt pregnant, emotional ... On 14 June I felt very dizzy at work and fainted. I went to my Dr again, she said that it was probably because I had the flu. She gave me some antibiotics and send me home. Something did not feel right and I did another home test and this time it finally came out positive. Two days after I started to spot brown/black blood. I went to my OB for an ultrasound and they found no baby in the womb. My Dr spoke to me as if I made up that i had a positive preganancy test. But I asked about an ectopic pregnancy because I was worried since I only have 1 tube. They then did a blood test which confirmed the pregnancy. My OB recommended that they do an operation to see what is going on inside the tube since they could not see clearly on the ultrasound. I did not have the emotional and physical strenght to go through another operation since I had a c section a year ago. So I looked for a second opinion. That OB did a laproscopy last week and I am feeling fine. I had a lot of bleeding the first couple of days but am starting to feel better now. They were able to save the tube even though I was 9 weeks pregnant!!! I am hoping to try again soon since I really want a second baby. All I can say is trust your instinct if something does not feel right look for the answers until you find them, if i just went home and did not insist on a blood test maybe my tube would have burst by now.
I know all these comments are from 2006 but I experienced my first pregnancy and it was in my tube...I was 9 weeks pregnant....it hurts to know that the baby never had a chance. I had the surgery on sat the day after my 28th bday.....knowing that I am not alone has helped me tremendously. I searched what to expect after the surgery and this post came up....it's only been 4 days since I went thru my ordeal....I still cry at times. it's the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with and I know it will take time...I only bled for 2 days. I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories...:-)
I had an ectopic pregnancy June 10th removed. It was hard both emotionally and physically. I finally went back to work after 2 weeks and then my work complained that I should not have been out all that time and I should have come back June 13th. I was yelled at by employee health on the 27th when I returned to work and then they called a few times to complain. Even though it is a hospital where I work you think they would know recovery time is at least a couple weeks. I go to the doctor tomorrow and if she doesn't give me a note for light duty still I have to lift 200 lb patients again. I know I am not ready to do all that lifting since I still have pain. This was my 11th surgery and I am 38 so I know I need to recover or I can re-injure myself. Pray for me sisters. I will pray for all of you and the sweet babies we all lost.  
I had surgery to remove my left tube and pregnancy 6/22/11. My hcg level was around 9,000 day of surgery. Apparently my hcg level is still not to zero because hpt's are still faint positive. I wonder how long it is going to take for hcg to go to zero so I can ovulate again.
I just had my surgery on the 27th of june i went to my drs last week on tuesday he removed the staples and he told me that it was ok for me to have sex and now im freaking out i dont know if it was ok or not i was thinking about taking the morning after pill cause i am very scared
I can feel all your pain and loss... I just  went through the exact same. 14 years ago 2 doc's told me that I won't get pregnant anymore after a miscarriage and 2 ectopics (removed  right tube)....however,when you least expect it it hits you!!! I 'm never late and took a test 8/7/11...positive... I freaked out and went the same day to my OB who confirmed my pregnancy....from that day on I lived in permanent fear...every week I had to get my HCG checked and  got a US. Nothing to see in week 4, nothing to see in week 6 and nothing to see in week 8 (not in the uterus  or tube)! HCG went up to 11,550.But I started having  ligth pain on my left side. My OB  talked to me after ther last US telling me I have to get the methotrexate....I received  the methotrexate 8/2/11. He explained the  side effects and thats it...no emotional support whatsoever. After I got the methotrexate I was extremly down and depressed...
I have to run twice a week to get my HCG leveles checked which slowly drop down...from 15,500 to 12,005...not sure what the level be tomorrow. I once read they are not supposed to give you the methotrexate when your HCG levels are over 6,000-cuz its too risky....
All I can say all the mood swings, sadness, and depression are normal...we have to go through all this in order to heal...it's just so hard to understand "WHY ME"... good luck to all of you!
I am so thankful to have found this page... I had my "tubes tied" seven years ago. So when I went to the E.R with stomach pains, I had no idea it could be because i was pregnant!  Then to find out it was a tubal-pregnancy was more than confusing to me.. It has been ten days today since my laprascopic surgery, the doc did remove my left tube along with the baby.? To say I am emotionally drained is an under statement..... I think the only word to sum it up could be "EMPTY"... I beleieve by each passing day it will get easier! I just hope I can come to terms will the fact I am a mother of two, or will I always be wishing for three???????
hi, im 24 yrs old married to the love of my life we tried very hard for 7yrs to concieve and it finally happened i was in shock i couldnt believe i was finally pregnant!!!the first thing i did was call everyone i knew and told them the news,but about a week after finding out i had some pain in my stomache it felt like alot of pressure on my uterous but i thought it was normal and the whole time in my mind i knew something just wasnt right i spotted brown the whole time so my first visit to the hospital i told them what was going on they did an ultrasound and couldnt find the baby i was 5 weeks and they said it was to small to see my hcg levels were fine they said to just take it easy so i did a few weeks later i was still spotting brown so again i went to the er and again they said i was fine even though in my heart i knew something just wasnt right so at 9 weeks preg it was about 1 am i started having terrible cramping i thought it was just gas so i took some gas pills well the cramping got worst it was unbearable i was throwing up and i couldnt breathe my neck hurt so bad whitch i couldnt understand y so i layed on the couch in so much pain thinking i was misscarring but did not want to tell my husband so i told him to go to bed as i lay there in the wprst pain ive ever felt not being able to move i fell asleep the next mourning the pain was worst i try to get off the couch and was in so muuch pain i called for my husband and told him to carry me to bed so i lay in bed to scared to move or tell him what was happing so finally i let a few hours pass and i call him an tell him take me to the hospital im losing the baby so he did they rushed me in an ambulance to another hospital where the told me it was ectopic and my tube rupured and i had to have surgery now or i would die i was devestaed i screamed an cried my husband was so hurt by our loss it has been a mounth now and im still mourning the loss of my baby i was stubbern and did not get on birth control and now im spotting again i dont know if this is normal? should this be a period or is it happing again please pray for me
I just had surgery to remove my left tube and my 7 week pregnancy that my husband and I had tried for- for nearly two years. Initially, my severe left side pains were diagnosed as a massive UTI and I was sent off with antibiotics : ( I had spotted from day one, and that turned to bleeding when the pains came. A week after my misdiagnosis I had what appeared to be a miscarriage, passing a clot after a night of severe cramping and uterine pain. An ultrasound revealed an empty uterus, however they should've tested me for pregnancy or tested my hcg levels, and I should've insisted they did.

Another week passed and the pain came back on my left side. The ER doctors wanted to send me off again with another UTI. I asked them to test me for pregnancy, as I was suspicious.. They suggested an ultrasound to check my kidneys and bladder for infection. There was none, but the u/s tech found something in my tube and requested a second scan. She saved my life that night. My pregnancy test came back positive but my hcg levels were low. I went into surgery in the morning to have our poor baby and my left tube removed.

For anyone wanting to know what's normal and what's not, it depends on the individual.. However, I will say that the depression and feelings of loss or let down to yourself and your husband are common. I am currently a self-loathing wreck and have lost all hope for a child. I am 38 years old and we were trying for our first baby. We only wanted one. After almost two years of unsuccessful trying and now this, I have no more desire or hope to try anymore with one tube and the possibility of having to go through another ectopic and losing the one tube I have left...

I am sore from the surgery, dealing with a lot of abdominal gas bubbles, bloating and discomfort, and some vaginal bleeding. But I haven't really needed anything for actual "pain".. This has been my experience since my surgery two days ago. I hope this helps anyone trying to find answers or just general support for this subject. I know how devastating it is...
My husband and I had been trying for over two years and had started seeing a fertility doctor and in the mean time got pregnant on our own only to misscarry at 7 weeks. A few months later we were set to start fertility treatments and I took Serophen to help ovulate. On day 10 after having anormal period my they noticed my progesterone levels were high and did a pregnancy test. We found out I was pregnant on thanksgiving and said that I would have conceived sometime in September but we didn't know how far along I was and they were going to do an ultrasound at the end of October to get a due date. In the mean time (the friday after finding out we were pregnant) I started having severe right side pain and assumed I was misscarrying again and just waited for bleeding (which never came). I woke up the next morning and the pain was gone but later that morning I had some bright red bleeding that didn't last long at all and my doctor insisted that I go to emergency. I did only for them to tell me that my hcg levels were still up but it was too early to see anything in the uterus and to come back on Monday for another US and bloodwork. We left thinking everything was fine as after an internal exam my cervix was still closed and purple as in a normal pregnancy. They said they saw some fluid in my right fellopian tube so assumed my pain was from a cyst bursting and not to worry. We went back in on the MOnday and they still could not see anything on US and my hcg levels had dropped again. They said we had to assume that it was an ectopic pregnancy and the pain was likely it aporting itself and leaving my tube. My hcg levels had to be monitored and they continued to drop until a week and half later at which point they started to rise again. They did another US to still see nothing in my uterus or tube and said they think it has implanted somewhere else and has started to grow again but they can't find it so I needed to take the metho shot to terminate whatever was still there. That was two days ago and I have been an emotional mess and have just had light brown periodic spotting that stopped as of today (which I had had for about a week prior). I have not had pain since Friday two weeks ago and no more significant bleeding. I am worried that I may have gotten pregnant again when my levels had dropped and that is why they started going back up and that I may have just terminated a healthy pregnancy (although I know very unlikely). Should I expect bleeding to start soon and will it be accompanied by pain and cloating? How long does it last? My doctor has not told me to hold off on sex and really hasn't given me any direction on what to expect or what our next steps are so I am clueless at this point. I assume if I do get bleeding that it is similar to a misscariage and that you are not to use tampons but again was not directed one way or another so don't really know. I was told that when my levels reach zero I will have a period and then then at my following cycle they will do a sonohistogram to determine how much damage was caused to my tube. She didn't think I needed to wait three months to try again as my uterus wasn't affected. I feel like I am in good hands since this has all been done through a fertility clinic but after reading allt he above posts I am thinking that they messed up and I should have had surgery and not sure where I should go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stephanie
I just had an ectopic pregnancy removed 4 days ago, December 28,2011. Im trying to figure out if i even feel normal anymore, I know normal is an understatement, but i just dont feel whole anymore. I had my left tube removed and they had to make 3 incisions to do it. I have an ongoing joke about the fact my eggs are only good every 5 years, I have a 13 year old a 5 year old and a 2 year old. they were Dec 1998, Feb 2004 and Nov 2009. in between them all i had 2 miscarriages, I lost another one in Dec of last year. This one was a surprise and I tried preparing myself for another mc. It became an ectopic. The depression hit me today on all points. I lost another one and im not a whole woman anymore. I have an old man that just cant understand anything and is gone 3 weeks out of the month to begin with. I cant depend on him and I cant leave it up to my babies wither to take care of anything, Im scared something is going to go wrong. I started bleeding yesterday big huge clots and then I stopped. I hurt everywhere. I know I have to do what has to be done and finding it very hard to explain to my husband what I am going through. Id there somewhere I can send huim to read up on what just happened to me and what we need to expect for the recovery period? I asked the doc but of course my husband was not around to get any information on it. How do I open up on what I am feeling and hopefully help myself as well as my family?
Anyone have lick conceiving naturally and getting to full term after an ectopic? I am most concerned about this aspect I am ok and come to terms with the fact that I had an ectopic rupture last week. I am most concerned about the ability to conceive after.
i had an ectopic pregnancy dec 21st 2011 and i am still having pain from the surgery i had ..it will be three weeks this wednesday jan 11th 2012 i am still very upset from this experience my left tube ruptured and i had to have emergency surgery spent the night in the hospital i remember when i got out of surgery the ob dr that did the surgery had showed me pictures of the ruputured tube and the baby i was still kida out of it from the meds they had me on i cant get the pics i seen out of my head i didnt even give permission to see them i dont remember much however the dr. wouldnt even tell my husband that i was out of surgery or anything that had happened for that matter unfortunately i had to be the bearer of bad news and tell my husband the took my tube and the baby ive been crying and very depressed ever since ...i had a m/c in november a few week prior to the ectopic ...my dr advised me not to have intercourse for at least one year sadly i cant get my husband to understand that if we were to have sex then it can cause severe damage to my organs but he dnt seem to care be cause he throws a fit like a toddler if he doesnt get his way what do i do ? i am so scared of this happening again ...
I'm sorry for your loss. You need to give your body the time it needs to heal. In 2007 I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was 8 wks, my left tube ruptured. They removed my left tube, part of my left ovary, and part of my right tube and told me i wouldn't be able to get pregnant, unless i did IVF for atleast a year. I went through all the emotions of loss, denial, depression, acceptance.....  In 2009 I gave birth to a 9 pound boy, without any fertility help. A Dr. can only give you his/her medical opinion, but they arent God. I'm sorry for everyones loss on this site. The most important thing you can do, is give your body time to heal.
Hi there, I had ectopic pregnancy surgery 2 days ago (18 jan 2012) and I think I'm still in a state if shock. This is not what we expected to find, here is my story, I have 2 children, daughter almost 9 and son just over 6, I have had almost constant bleeding for the 6 years since my son was born, I had a d&c immediately after having him naturally and and another d&c about a year later with no help for the bleeding. After the bleeding didn't stop after trying 12 different types of contraceptive pills I was referred to a gyne to have a mirena placed (worst thing ever!!) itsde it so much worse. I know I should have seen another gp but have been going to her for 11 years and trusted her, anyway 2 weeks ago I had had enough I went in, broke down and told her what my life has been like, used to be a distance runner training 6 days a week to now struggling to get out of bed, constant lethargy and very moody, emotionally all over the place as well. I finally asked for a referral which I got and within a few days had an appointment with a very thorough gynaecologist. She listened to me for ages, examined me and looked at my ultrasound report ( I requested the ultrasound) and recommended surgery asap, in just over a week I was in surgery and was hopeful to finally get an answer to the cause of my bleeding, except on recovery the first thing she said to me was that I shocked her!! She found a ruptured ectopic pregnancy!!! Apparently it's common with having a mirena but now I feel lost, totally devastated that I've lost a baby, even though we weren't trying for one, but other than dysfunctional bleeding she can't explain my years of problems. I know I'm lucky they found the ruptured ectopic and that it can be dangerous but not only do I still not have any answers I now have lost a baby too and have been told if I want to have another we will need IVF, I feel so lost and sure from surgery.  I know I need time to heal but would love to hear from anyone with a similar experience. (I was expecting to be told I had endometriosis not an ectopic pregnancy) and yes I would love another baby but don't think I can put my family through that. Also, I had the mirena removed at the same time as surgery 2 days ago, I had a small amount of bleeding the daybif surgery but nothing since, my gyne said to expect heavy bleeding but when should this start, I'll ring her later too but wanted to ask in here of your experiences. Mel
Hi All,

Heres my experience with my 1st pregnancy after 2 yrs of trying which was Ectopic. The reason I write in detail is mayb someone might find something of help here.

On 8th of Jan I had excruciating pain in lower abdomen and back and started spotting. Thought I was going to have a period. After 2 days no period, was still spotting. Googled my symptoms n they suggested I mayb pregnant. Did HPT on 11th Jan which came out positive. A few seconds later I started bleeding wid lower left abdominal pain. I thought i was miscarrying n went to A & E. They did a BHCG Test and scan. Scan revealed no sac and HCG came back 669. They asked me to repeat HCG in 2 days. Bhcg on 13th Jan came back at 1293 which had doubled as shud hav. I was told it looked like a very viable pregnancy and come bak for a scan in 4 days. We were so happy that day.

Scan on 18th Jan failed to reveal a gestational sac. They did another BHCG which came bak at 1930..not a good sign. The suspected either a failing pregnancy or ectopic. Another BHCG scheduled on 20th and a couple more stressful days.

Blood test on 20th Jan came bak 2100 n scan was suggestive of ectopic. Dr. suggested laporoscopy and removal of the tube. They did not suggest methotrexate as it wud mean 6 months of waiting to try again. Was taken in surgery same day 20th Jan. During surgery they found the ectopic on the end of the left tube(fimbliar region). They think it was a natural spontanoeous tubal abortion which had tried to keep growing by clinging to the end. They could remove it without harming the tubes. That is the only positive out of this n we consider ourselves lucky.

After surgery I dont have much pain from the surgery wounds. However I have had extreme cramping and bleeding with clots and grey tissue since last 2 days. The bleeding n pain has gone down today...day 3. BHCG on 23 Jan dropped to 300 from 2100. Nurse says to do a HPT which should come back negative in a weeks time.

Saw my Gynac today the 24th Jan. Feel much better after talking to him. He was able to discuss my surgery wid us. Said I can try after my first period. Shud b able to concieve. Did tell me I m at a higher risk of ectopic. Told me even a lap n dye test cannot always find tubal damage and rather we shud go ahead n try naturally for next 3-4 months. He did ask to monitor ovulation a period very closely to detect pregnancy asap n to go scan at the early pregnancy unit in case of a positive pregnancy for early detection of ectopic. He also suggested going for IVF in case of anoder ectopic or failing to concieve by may.

This experience has thought me a lot. I was able to get thru it sanely from reading countless blogs n forums on ectopic pregnancies. The many posts prepared me for what to expect n understand my case better. I hope everyone who is trying is blessed wid a successful pregnancy soon and keeping my fingers crossed for r journey from here on :)
Your story sounds basically the same as mine. the only thing is I knew something was wrong for 2 weeks and know one wanted to listen to me. I had to pass out before anything was done. So I ended up having the chemo shot, passing out, having the surgery and having my tube out in the end. This all happened to me last week. I feel so alone. I'm also sick of hearing everything will be okay from my husband an some others. It won't be okay. I won't have my baby on September 12 and I won't get my tube back, that's not okay. I do have two children already. So when I grieve I feel ashamed. Do I have the right? some women aren't able to have any children? I also fear that I will never be able to grow another child inside of me again because I am damaged. I feel like I have know one right now, not even my husband.......He's getting ready to go watch the super bowl tonight......that's what's on his mind!
I'm so sorry for your loss, I too have 2 children already and have been told without ivf I can't have anymore. I would have loved a third but can't help feeling I'm being selfish, considering others have no children. People often say to me, "well at least you have 2 already" believe me I am very grateful for them but does that mean I can't grieve for the one I just lost. My surgery was just over 2 weeks ago, I had another appointment on Friday with my gyne and she said she went in looking for endometriosis or cancer which she suspected based on symptoms I've had for a few years, got no answers for that and still have more testing ahead and by chance found the ectopic and it had ruptured the day of surgery :( lost my left tube and right is totally blocked, very little chance of falling pregnant, and about 90% chance of it being ectopic again if I did :( it's so hard to accept and I too feel o have no one talk to. Please give yourself time and give those children of yours some extra cuddles, best of luck and please let us know how you go. Mel
thank you for sharing your story with us
I had one dec. 28 2011 . My fiancé and I have just recently decided to try again but after reading all the stories from u guys I'm kinda scared to be honest .. When we were trying after our first two m/c I used to get sad every time af came to visit .... Two days after my birthday I found out I was pregnant but then when we went to see our baby it was there . I cried my heart out in his arms and he told me how he still had me and I had him and we could always try for another well wish me the best of luck.... #ttc
I just had an unexpected ectopic removed surgically on Friday.  I lost my right tube also.  We have been TTC for 5.5 years, and had 4 IUI's with success on the last one.  I had no symptoms of ectopic at all.  No pain, no bleeding, doubling HCG, started getting morning sickness, etc.  We had an early ultrasound because of the IUI, and that's when it was discovered.  It was a perfectly growing 6 week embryo, heartbeat and all, just firmly lodged in my right tube.  Because of it's size it had to be surgically removed, and because of the attempt to remove just the embryo the tube started to bleed out badly so I lost that too.  We have male factor infertility and need IUI or IVF to conceive, so I feel like this was a cruel joke and now the odds are stacked even higher against us.

Physically, my recovery has been good.  I started spotting 4 days after the surgery, and it is full flow now.  No major pain or cramping so far.  I need to have a HSG done to see how my other tube is before we can go back to TTC with treatments.  I expect that will be in another 2 or 3 months.

Emotionally I've been up and down.  Philosophical some of the time, and grief-stricken at other times.  I'm sure with the passage of time it will get better.  

My thoughts are with anyone who has to go through this.
They can't always find it early enough by serial hcg betas. I had my first ectopic oct 2011 and my 2nd March 2012. I am still recovering. Localized pain on just one side was MY indicator to seek out additional opinions. I was not listened to the 1st or 2nd time. The radiologist didn't put in my report what my ob said should've been seen. I am 22 years old and have lost both of my fallopian tubes. My 1st ectopic i had ZERO bleeding.. my 2nd... by the time i started bleeding it was too late. And with my hcg levels they both had doubled normal as they should have.. if you ever suspect ectopic and someone isn't listening i would highly suggest getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion
I want to first thank everyone on here for being so honest about this. I just had an ectopic pg April 26,2012. I went to the doctor three times in one week and just kept feeling pain in my left side. The last doctor told me I had a UTI but knew it was something else so I asked here to do a pregnancy test and it came back positive that was on a Thursday. On Saturday I was bleeding went to the ER and they did a vaginal ultrasound and found out my pregnancy was ectropic they give me the two shots and sent me home. But didn't really explain how it worked. I endured four more days of pain went to my GYN and set up my surgery because I could not desk with the pain any longer. I have two kids already and I was not trying to get pregnant I know that it was a blessing from God for me even to get pregnant again due to so much scar tissue I have from my two previous C-section. I'm really sad because I feel like in just a seven day span I was give a baby only for him or her to be taken away. My kids are 17 and  9 but the guy I date don't have any kids in a way I feel I let him down. He's been supportive completely the good thing is that the doctor got to explain what was going to him. I just want you all to know that my heart goes out to you because it's very hard to understand and get over the list of a child no matter how it happens. I lost my right tube when the did the surgery but I still have my life. I'm depressed and I sometime cry just out the blue but I know every day will get better . My God bless you all and good luck. Just remember anything is possible if you put it in God's hand and for get about! Let him take care of it! Felicia B
I had an ectopic pregnancy 7 years ago, which led to my right tube removed. It has been 5 days now im having pains on the side that had ectpic, i hv consulted doctors, they gave me pills which are not helping, i sleep 30minutes and wake up with pain that last 1 hour to 2 hours, im suffering PLEASE HELP
i just had an ectopic pregnancy two weeks ago today, if anyone would like to talk about there experence i would to hear it. ***@****
Hi ,
I am so grateful for this site. It is so good to know even though disappointing that so many other women went through this. I just had an Ectopic pregnancy  6 days ago. i didn't even know that i was Preggo. I knew that something wasn't right though. I had pain in my vagina and pelvic area and was spotting for a month.  My husband suspected a pregnancy but i was in denial.  We have been married for 11 yrs and had a  failed IVF a very early m/c 4 yrs ago so I kinda didn't believe we could do it. I  should've heeded the signs though because i was on a boat when i experienced the severe sharp pains and i also fainted. At the hospital test was positive. found out i was preggo but could be ectoptic . i was hopeful that a miracle could happen. i  was so excited to know that he had a strong heartbeat and was there for 9 whole weeks. they told me the dangers had to have an emergency op. found out he ruptured my right tube had to have it removed. my life just was a complete flash things happened so fast finding out he was there then he was gone. Seeing the photo of him was priceless he was already formed with his eyes and nose and feet so precious. he fought to be here but God knew best. Can't believe i  loved him so much already. Any way had no bleeding until the 4th day severe vaginal and abdominal pains the 5th day to release big clump of blood . only light pains and bleeding now. have appt with OB tomorrow. she says there is still hope with one tube so i will keep the faith. So sorry for the loss of so many women on here and i sincerely pray God's best for all of you as you heal and overcome this stage of your lives.
Hi again, I have posted a couple of times on this thread but wanted to share what is hopefully good news. In short here is my story. January 18th 2012 surgery for ruptured ectopic, lost a Fallopian tube too. Also found out my other tube is completely blocked so only chance if pregnancy would be through IVF. June 1st 2012 had a follow up appointment with the specialist and she said the chances of me falling pregnant are so slim it's not worth going back on contraceptives. It is now almost mid July and I just had a positive home pregnancy test, I had a feeling I was pregnant and was late so tested and sure enough. Now we have the anxious wait to check its not another ectopic  but I have a feeling all us ok, fingers crossed..... Just wanted to share as I know how difficult this is to go through and even if you have been told you can't have any more children naturally, miracles can and do happen. Best of luck to you all and I'll check back when it's confirmed my pregnancy isn't ectopic this time.
Congratulations.
I thought our story also can be shared here to help others in similar situation.
My wife is going to undergo surgery to remove her ruptured tube and subsequently the pregnancy will also be terminated eventually.
She also had a raptured tube in 2005 jan and removed and lost our first baby. Then we have been blessed by God with a daughter in 2006 sep and a son in 2008 july,both through natural conceiving  doctors said we are really blessed. She is 34years and Im 40 now.
However, now she is getting her other tube removed tomorrow by surgery and praying to God to give her mental and physical strength and make everything go normal.
We dont know if there are chances for getting pregnant naturally and want to know if we have to take any contraceptive to avoid getting pregnant.
But, we will be ever be thankful to God for blessing us with two lovely children.
We will also pray that your pregnancy is not ectopic and to give you good health and healthy baby. Good luck. Please do remember to pray for my wife.
hi there  i have had an etopic pregancy although to this day unsure what side was removed, i have scar on right if that means anything, had to have tube removed as had ruptered(7 weeks) i have found out yesterday that i am now pregnant, i have pcos, i have also had pain, awaiting results of blood tests and scared! but i managed to get pregnant just praying baby is settling in utus xx
I had one too on March 19, 2013 but I didnt have any kind of surgry my dr gave me a shot on both sides of my hip. I can't think of the name of the shot but he told me that it was very affective. It took a week for my pain to start but when it did i couldn't move, walk or use the bathroom without any help from my husband. the dr told me that it could happen again but I'm ready to try again since he said that i am just as fertile but my cycle didn't start yet.
Hi.  May I ask what was your outcome.  I am in that very same situation  right now.  2 months in he ruptured and my left side had to be remove my tube as well that 9/9/13.  My right side has been blocked since I was 21 and was trying.  Now after the removal I wonder if there is even a slim chance/miracle that it could even happen without IVF.  I have to be honest as bad as I wanted to be a mother I am totally scared of an etopic would happen again.  I am 34 soon to be 35 in march,  could my age be a factor ?
Your process and experince is just what i am going through. To the t. Thank you for sharing
I just had my left tube removed last Sunday, have been spotting ever since but just started bleeding more...what seems similar to a period.  Needless to say, the turn of events has devastated me emotionally.  Physically, well it hasn't been as bad.  While pregnant, I was extremely fatigued but thought it was because I was older (just turned 36 and was 28 and 30 when I gave birth to my girls).  We were surprised to become pregnant as my husband has a pituitary gland tumor but were excited.  We had always wanted another child. My first ultrasound was originally scheduled on a Tuesday at 8 weeks but due to a snowstorm the appointment was rescheduled to the following Monday and then due to another was rescheduled to that Friday.  By the time I had my first ultrasound I was already 10.5 weeks.  It was then they discovered an empty gestational sac.  They did some blood work and on Saturday told me they suspected ectopic as my hcg was still at 14900.  I had been spotting since the ultrasound but had attributed it to the transvaginal that they did after the abdominal was not showing anything.  However, by Sunday morning I was feeling quite lightheaded, I called the doctor and told them I was not sure if I was just overtired but it did not feel right. They told me to go to the ER and after further lab work at the ER, they performed the surgery the same day. I was told that the tube had started to rupture.   I knew the spotting did not seem okay as there was red flakes like dark red dandruff in the blood but until I was told it was over, I kept trying to write off all they symptoms as being something minor.   I kept holding on to a thread of hope.  They could not get a picture of the tubes to show on the ultrasound so they had to open up both sides. They started on the right side and the baby was not there so then they tried the left tube and they found the baby in the tube and removed. Luckily, the surgery was laproscopic and I only lost a tube (no ovary) as they had said if all did not go well I may have had to lose the ovary as well and/or be opened up all the way which would be a worse recovery. My emotions are just all over the place right now.
I had my Fallopian tube removed due to ectopic last week. My levels were 300 before surgery. Today, I took a hcg test and it was negative, then I took a ovulation test and it was positive. Could I be ovulating already? One week after surgery?
Hello, I too suffered an ectopic in Nov. It was my husband and I first child. We had been trying for awhile and a previous doc that we had lied to us and told us we were pregnant but he mixed our blood up with someone else's so we were never pregnant so when we finally got our BFP we were so happy and then I started spotting light at first then it got worse and I called my doc and they had me come in and while he was doing the scan he found out that the baby was in my tube and they rushed me to another hostipal that was able yo deal with it. When he told me want happened he was saying that I would have yo lose a tube and have surgery and I was balling my eyes out and my husband had to come take me to the other hostipal and it was the worst day of my life. I spent the whole day getting poked and prodded and I had to get the shot. Everyone