Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
whats the chances

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

whats the chances

My partner (age 41) had a vasectomy 7 years ago and we are now in the process of considering a reversal.
I am 42 so we are already facing some difficuties, however we are prepared to make the step and whatever it may bring.
Our problem is this..my partner is currently serving in Iraq, living in extreme conditions and with a less than relaxing lifestyle. Temperatures range from the mid 80s to the 105 -110 range.. he is allowed home for 30 days and returns to Iraq for 90. A small window of opportunity grows ever smaller.
We just simply want to know if there is any chance that given all of our circumstances, could we, should we just go  for it and hope for the best or are we really wishing for the impossible???
If I were you, I would go and have a couple of tests done while your partner is still away. An FSH blood test on day 3 of your cycle will give you a pretty good idea of your ovarian reserve. So will an ultrasound around that same time to view the size of your ovaries and count the number of antral follicles. That way, you'll have a better idea of your own fertility before considering the vasectomy. At 42, it will probably be pretty difficult to get pregnant on your own. Fertility drugs and IVF would help increase your odds, but it's still not a sure thing.

Setting up an appointment with an RE (reproductive endocrinologist...or fertility specialist) in your area would probably be the best first step.

Best of luck with everything! I hope everything works out for you and your partner!
Heather gave some excellent advice.  Has your partner already had the reversal done or is he having it during this next time he's home?  I also wanted to wish you best of luck & SSBD! - jen

P.S.  Don't delay in seeking a re's help - he/she can be a life-saver in all matters fertility.  When i was thinking about getting pg, I thought I had plenty of time when the opposite seemed to be the case but I was older by a year than you and believe it or not that makes a difference.  Also ask your re to perform an AMH test (it stands for antimullerian hormone).  It's a test that further tests for egg quality/reserve which is so important at women in their 40's.  
Thanks Heather & Jen..Its a daunting prospect doing all this alone so am very happy to have found this site and have contact from you both.
My partner has not yet had his reversal but is booked for surgery in October and i am doing my best to get fit and healthy in readiness.
Unfortunately ours it not an easy situation with my partner serving in Iraq, I cant fly there when my body is ready and they sure won't let him come home for a few days every month! All we can do is hope for the best. Thank you so much for your advise.