Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
xrays causing infertility...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

xrays causing infertility...

My husband is in the army and had 8 x-rays within a one month period just before I got to see him...would that affect his fertility?
I am not totally sure but it may temporarily affect male fertility but sperm are regenerated all the time so it is probably not as much an issue in males as in females where we are born with all the eggs we will ever have.  Although it could harm the spermatogonium which are the stem cells or precursors to all sperm.    In that case, it could permanently affect fertility.  This is a good question for your doctor!
that is...if he was not protected during the xrays.  what type of xrays were they and did they  use the lead apron??
he had 6 x-rays on his jaw and 2 on his chest. there was no lead apron involved. he said the xrays themselves were just of his jaw and chest...but not sure if the rest of his body was involved for the chest.
Hmm.. shame on the army docs (or whoever) for not using a lead apron.  I'm not entirely sure if it could affect his sperm.  I just know that even when I get x-rays of my teeth, they still use an apron around my torso.  But x-raying his chest, they most certainly should have used an apron (I've had MANY x-rays throughout the years of my torso b/c of scoliosis and a few back surgeries.. they've always used aprons).  I suppose you'd have more to worry about if he had many frequent visits over his lifetime, but like what mlb1234 said, sperm are regenerated all the time, so hopefully you'll be ok.    
thanks for all your help