Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Questions: Miscarriage and First Period after d&c

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

I had my second miscarriage on May 23rd which resulted in a d&c.  My first miscarriage was in Oct. 06 with d&c.  They found missed tissue in Jan 07 and had to perform another d&c. I found out I was pg on Apr 1 07.  The baby had a slow fetal hb and slow growth.  After testing they found that I have 1 copy of MTHFR so we are going to a RE now for consultation.   What are your thoughts on this in relation to miscarriage.  Also, my levels slowly dropped to zero with my last d&c.  As of last week I was told that my levels did drop and I ovulated according to bloodwork and to expect my period in 3-4 weeks.  Yesterday morning I bled (not enough to cover a pantiliner) and it was red.  And this morning I did the same thing but it was a brownish color.  Is it normal to have a first period like this?  Or should I expect  a heavier period to come soon?
Thanks so much,
A~
The first menses and maybe the second after a D&C followng a pregnancy are any bodies guess: How much? When? How long? So give yourself a chance to get regular before you try again and make sure that the pregnancy hormone levels get to zero, also are you RH-/+.
MTHFR, is a tricky topic and best answered by your REI. The treatment of increased folic acid , b12 and 6 are probably good for you anyway. We throw in baby asprin. You may want to speak to your REI about a RHA ( recurrent habitual abortions) work up with the 2 miscarriages.
HOPE THIS HELPS
Adding to last post.  My real period came last night and it arrived quickly.  At first it was very clotty and then became more normal as the night progressed.  But, I barely made it to the restroom in time.  Will I start to expect a more "normal" period soon?
Thanks...
thank you....
Its been 3months since I had a d&c and the level is now 460, why is it taking so long, it was going down about 200 per week now this week it went down to only about 50,, I don't want to take the 'mth' injection what are other ways to get it down.. I'm sure some one out there knows,,,,tell me.
You need to request a sono.  There may be missed tissue in your uterus that is causing the hcg levels to remain present. I had the same thing happen last year.  I had to have a repeat d&c.  I hope you don't have to. But, you should definately check it out. Good Luck!! I know how frustrating it is. I am sorry....
HI I HAD A D&c on 4july 2007 and my recent period was on 2 aug.how lon will i take rest and when will i conceive again ?doc had told me that rest 4 three months.
I found out I was pregnant July 6th with my first baby. On July 22nd, I started to bleed very heavy. At one point, I saw a big blood clot. I was told by my doctor that was the fetus. When they preformed an emergency ultrasound, it proved I had a miscarriage and there was no tissue left. So there was no need to perform a d&c. The also ran blood levels and it showed from the 545 hormone level (first appointment of the pregnancy) to when I had a miscarriage was 10. I was told to be on bedrest for a week and withold from sex for 6 months. Is this accurate? When should I try to conceive again?
I am almost identical to your situation.  I had a d&c on July 3rd (should have been 9 weeks along) and I got my first period on August 1st.  My doc said it was okay for us to start trying now.  I think that each doctor is different.  I also wonder how long it will take.  I know the doc said that the first couple of cycles could be very messed up.  i wish you the best of luck
A related discussion, had a d and c was started.
A related discussion, life after dnc was started.