Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Questions: Miscarriage and First Period after d&c

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

I had my second miscarriage on May 23rd which resulted in a d&c.  My first miscarriage was in Oct. 06 with d&c.  They found missed tissue in Jan 07 and had to perform another d&c. I found out I was pg on Apr 1 07.  The baby had a slow fetal hb and slow growth.  After testing they found that I have 1 copy of MTHFR so we are going to a RE now for consultation.   What are your thoughts on this in relation to miscarriage.  Also, my levels slowly dropped to zero with my last d&c.  As of last week I was told that my levels did drop and I ovulated according to bloodwork and to expect my period in 3-4 weeks.  Yesterday morning I bled (not enough to cover a pantiliner) and it was red.  And this morning I did the same thing but it was a brownish color.  Is it normal to have a first period like this?  Or should I expect  a heavier period to come soon?
Thanks so much,
A~
Avatar n tn
The first menses and maybe the second after a D&C followng a pregnancy are any bodies guess: How much? When? How long? So give yourself a chance to get regular before you try again and make sure that the pregnancy hormone levels get to zero, also are you RH-/+.
MTHFR, is a tricky topic and best answered by your REI. The treatment of increased folic acid , b12 and 6 are probably good for you anyway. We throw in baby asprin. You may want to speak to your REI about a RHA ( recurrent habitual abortions) work up with the 2 miscarriages.
HOPE THIS HELPS
Avatar n tn
Adding to last post.  My real period came last night and it arrived quickly.  At first it was very clotty and then became more normal as the night progressed.  But, I barely made it to the restroom in time.  Will I start to expect a more "normal" period soon?
Thanks...
Avatar n tn
thank you....
Avatar n tn
Its been 3months since I had a d&c and the level is now 460, why is it taking so long, it was going down about 200 per week now this week it went down to only about 50,, I don't want to take the 'mth' injection what are other ways to get it down.. I'm sure some one out there knows,,,,tell me.
Avatar n tn
You need to request a sono.  There may be missed tissue in your uterus that is causing the hcg levels to remain present. I had the same thing happen last year.  I had to have a repeat d&c.  I hope you don't have to. But, you should definately check it out. Good Luck!! I know how frustrating it is. I am sorry....
Avatar n tn
HI I HAD A D&c on 4july 2007 and my recent period was on 2 aug.how lon will i take rest and when will i conceive again ?doc had told me that rest 4 three months.
I found out I was pregnant July 6th with my first baby. On July 22nd, I started to bleed very heavy. At one point, I saw a big blood clot. I was told by my doctor that was the fetus. When they preformed an emergency ultrasound, it proved I had a miscarriage and there was no tissue left. So there was no need to perform a d&c. The also ran blood levels and it showed from the 545 hormone level (first appointment of the pregnancy) to when I had a miscarriage was 10. I was told to be on bedrest for a week and withold from sex for 6 months. Is this accurate? When should I try to conceive again?
I am almost identical to your situation.  I had a d&c on July 3rd (should have been 9 weeks along) and I got my first period on August 1st.  My doc said it was okay for us to start trying now.  I think that each doctor is different.  I also wonder how long it will take.  I know the doc said that the first couple of cycles could be very messed up.  i wish you the best of luck
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, had a d and c was started.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, life after dnc was started.
Avatar n tn