Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Age and miscarriage risk

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Age and miscarriage risk

Hi -- I'm 46, and to everyone's surprise, I've had 3 natural pregnancies/miscarriages in the last 10 months.  (We married late in life and have no previous children or attempts to conceive.)  My FSH stays at 10-11 and my estradial level is good; I do not have any uterine or progesterone problems.  I miscarried at about 9 weeks (good initial heartbeat), then 7 weeks (only a gestational sac), and then 6 weeks (no ultrasound was done).  My question is whether these 3 recent miscarriages would indicate that all of my remaining eggs likely have abnormalities, or is there some possibility I have a normal egg left?  (We realize that I'm a good candidate for donor eggs, but we already have an expensive adoption in process, so it would be best for us to wait until that is completed.)  If I use an ovulation kit and we time our attempts to conceive, I get pregnant in 1-3 cycles, but at this point, I'm not sure if we should keep trying.  I realize there may not be a lot of data on women my age having natural pregnancies, but I'm just wondering if you think there may be some hope a future pregnancy could still be successful.  Thank you!  
I wanted to add a related question:  Is the fact that I have gotten pregnant so easily any kind of positive sign re. the quality of my remaining eggs, or is that totally outweighed by my age and miscarriage history?  Again, thank you in advance for your advice!
There's a good chance you have one good egg left. But, the odds are that as you age, so does your eggs and when your FSH is above10 this indicates your in the reserves which means lower quality and quantity.  Since you've been able to get pg that is a very, very good sign. But, given your age, I would go very aggressive. I would see your RE about going on injectables and having IUI's backed up with bd.  Best of luck to you.
I'm sorry for your miscarriages, I'm only 40 but have had 3 in less than 2 years.  

Your FSH is still pretty good, but FSH can't necessarily tell you about egg quality, mainly quantity.  As babyalive said, as you age, so do your eggs.  Its a good sign you are able to get pregnant (i.e., no infertility per se) but its unclear whether you have any eggs that could become viable pregnancies.

I am also facing this issue myself, even though I am younger.  After 3, I am very hesitatant to try again naturally.  I am going to a reproductive specialist next week, so hopefully they can give me some guidance.  Even if you are not looking at donor eggs, I would seriously considering seeing an RE, they can give you some ideas of options.
Because of the age there is higth risk to miscarriage but I wish I were you to get pregnant so easy at this age. I am 45 almost 46 I want to get pregnant for second time  it has been impossible, I have just one Daugther I got pregnant the first try at 40 years old, She born when I was 41 years old. I still trying naturally, I have known cases very close to me where  women have had babies completly healthy at 48 years old naturally preganncy, If I were you I would still trying to get pregnant every month, dont stop, many doctor will be not agree but unfrtunally they just belive in statistic,  be sure that one golden egg can be there, and also I would think about donnor egg when I were very very close to 50. My best wishes.
I would like to add, that I have had two miscarriage at 43 years old, and my OB keep tell me dont stop trying He has had woman at 49 years old pregnant naturally with healthy babies of course its not common but its possible. I have visited 3 Infertility doctor that never help because of the age. It good that you go to infertility doctor but just believe  yourself that you can have  a golden egg too. Good luck.