Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Am I sterile?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Am I sterile?

15 yrs ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I was in labor for 3 days & had only dilated 7cm. My blood pressure had risen to a very unsafe & unhealthy level when my doctors decided it would be best to perform a c-section. Once the procedure was complete I was blessed with a healthy baby girl. Over the years I have been in a few serious relationships & in at least 2 of those relationships I had hoped for a pregnancy. God knows best so I was not so fortunate for that to happen but since then my ex's have gone on to have multiple kids. My fiancé & I have been together for almost 7 years & we have not been successful in conceiving. So, over the last 12 years I have I have been trying to get pregnant & have had no luck. Is this normal? Well I ever be able to have kids again & is there any advise or recommendations for someone in my situation?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that it is NOT normal for a couple to go that long without a baby if they are not using some form of birth control.
I would start your work up immediately with ovulation predictors and an HSG ( a dye study to determine whether your tubes are blocked ).  I would start his work up with a semen analysis.  These basic tests would help to determine a plan of action for you.
Good luck!
Dr B
Maybe try and take vitamins, pregnacare conception? his and hers maybe... or if monies are tight then just buy the normal multivits.. its a start aswell while waiting for test results etc to come through...