Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Anovulation Bmi/ depression? or pcos?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Anovulation Bmi/ depression? or pcos?

Hi
I've not had a period since the birth of my son two years ago! I had pnd and lost a lot of weight, my bmi went down to 15.9 at lowest (it was 18-18.5 pre pregnancy) it's not back up to 17-17.5 ish I've had blood tests and a scan showed some scarring and pco my fsh was elevated at 14! But had an amh done that was normal!! Drs say all results are conflicting?! And to gain more weight (I'm trying) I had a pill induced period (withdrawel bleed) that was normal flow for 7 days!!
I really want another baby and I'm starting to feel a bit down about it all again I also am prone to anxiety anyone have any advice?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that the AMH test tends to be a better predictor of fertility than the FSH.  I would also advise you that rathe than PCOS, I would suspect hypothalamic amenorrhea resulting from your weight loss.  If you regain weight up to a bmi of 18-23 you will probably begin to have periods again.  The fact that you had a withdrawl (withdrawal) bleed with Provera is a very good sign, and suggests that your body is producing estrogen.  If you remain anovulatory and don't begin to have regular periods once the weight is gained, it may be possible to induce ovulation with oral medications such as Clomid or Femara.
Don't worry too much and gain more weight.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker