Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Breast Feeding

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Breast Feeding

I am 12 weeks pregnant today! when will I start producing milk? Also, I am afraid that I won't be able to produce enough for my child. How common is that?
CaraLuck.,
milk production does not start in a big way until after the baby delivers.  the process requires first stimulation of the breast tissue by the hormones of pregnancy (estrogen, progesterone, human placental lactogen), as well as your own hormones (prolactin, thyroid, insulin), and second the hormones of pregnancy must fall rapidly, as occurs after the placenta separates at birth.  at this point the breasts become tremendously engorged, and then they start to release milk when they are stimulated and/or when you see, hear or smell your baby.  
at this stage, 12 weeks gestatioin, you might feel slight breast engorgement, because of the rising levels of pregnancy hormones, you won't experience actual milk production or let down until the hormones drop at delivery. david
you start producing milk about 1 to 3 days after the birth, the first few days its a substance called colostrum, it is not milk exaclty but is full of the fatty nutrition the baby needs in the first days of like, why do you think you wont produce enough milk, do you have some sort of condition? if not, im sure statistics say that a majority of women can breastfeed normally, i personally dont produce a lot of milk, ie i dont get engorged, nor have i ever(even after the birth) but my body produces enough for the baby, thats normally how it works,

ps- you could have asked this in the other forum and got correct answers
Wow, I started leaking lots of milk with my first pregnancy on a daily basis during my 4th month.  I wonder why that was.
it probably wasnt milk, it was colostrum, i leaked that too