Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Do HCG levels drop before a miscarriage?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Do HCG levels drop before a miscarriage?

I just experienced a miscarriage.  I had never had a positive pregnancy test; however, I was 3 and a half months pregnant.  I had tried to get into see my doctor in February and she was out of the country for 2 weeks.  I had all the signs of pregnancy as well as a growing uterus which got to the size of a grapefruit.  After this though, the uterus seemed to start changing and so I thought the baby may have moved and I didn't worry too much about it.  I was supposed to see my Dr. on March 3 but they called me and said she was sick and wouldn't be in the office for a few days so on March 8 I had a blood test done.  The level was less than 5 so they said I was not pregnant.  For several days before this blood test I had several other things happening but never connected the events.  I believe that my baby died the last weekend in February and on March 10, the miscarriage started with the worst of it happening the next morning.  This is the 6th day since and I'm still bleeding some.  I went to the ER on the 12th and they did another blood test and said I wasn't pregnant and that I never had been.  They sent me to an OB/GYN clinic so I went there on the 14th and was treated very badly.  I was told many things I know for a fact aren't true as well.  Can your HCG level drop once the baby dies and  before you actually miscarry?  Can someone explain how this works?