Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Does IUI work the first time?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Does IUI work the first time?

Really need your help, i shall be undergoing the IUI procedure for the first time and i am really worried. I have had many people tell me that it never works first time, is this true??? I am soo nervous. I have been trying for almost a couple of years naturally and with no joy. I am 32  and i am not sure whether my age can be a problem with conception. Are there any tips on improving the chances of conception after the procedure?
Hi!
I'm pretty sure that if IUI never worked on the first try that we would have stopped trying at all by now!  I can say though, that if it hasn't worked within 3 trys, it probably won't.  I certainly would advise my own patients against more that 6 trys at the most.

As far as improving your odds, I always advise my patients to also try the  "natural" way too.  Accupuncture would definitely be worth the time and effort too.  No major bedrest or head stands or any of that is needed. The sperm know where to go!
Good luck!
Dr B

Our first IUI attempt was unsuccessful and we tried a second time this week.  I think multiple tries is typical with a success rate of 6-13% per cycle.  It does not seem like a lot but if you consider that a normal couple has a 20% chance per cycle that is not too bad.  Following the procedure you are told to go about your normal activities.  The only advice my doctor had was to be careful of the types of prescription and over the counter drugs you take.  Basically assume you are pregnant and limit yourself to tylenol and nothing more - this prevents harm to a potential pregnancy and any unintended effects on fertility.

Good luck!  

It didn't work 1st time with me either, am currently on 2nd attempt. But reading alot of posts on this site will tell u, everyones different, there are alot of success stories for 1st timers. So i would say don't pin your hopes to it working 1st time but also don't loose heart and think negative about it.

Good luck to us all!
Same here just had my 3rd IUI this past Sunday, the. Each cycle is so different. Each time I tried my body reacted much better to the meds. My follies were bigger and stronger.  This last IUI I had four follies, 3 @ 18mm and 1 @ 20.6. Unfortunately my hubby's count was lower than it had ever been. So we'll see what happens. Scheduled for a preg. test on the 21st. Praying that it worked. Good luck and lots of sticky baby dust!
SAME HERE I HAD 3 IUI AND NOTHING.AND EVERYTIME IS DIFFERENT MAYBE THIS TIME WITH MEDS WILL WORK...BABYDUST TO YOU TOO ....