Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Endometriosis and Fertility

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Endometriosis and Fertility

Hello everyone. I am only 19 and we found out just yesterday with the start of my period that I have endometriosis. There is no history of it in my family at all, but we do have a very long line of Ovarian Cysts which I also have. For the past four years I have had a rupture on my right side every four months exactly. So I suppose there is a connection there since many say endo is also connected to ovarian cysts. This month my cycle was very strange, for I have been charting for the last 8 months; it's been consistently getting more off track. Since October I have been taking progesterone pills prescribed by my doctor; you take 1 every night for 10 days, three days after ovulation. This was the fourth month where I was supposed to have another cyst rupture and thanks to the progesterone I didn't. However I think through the elimination of previous problems, the underlying issue was finally able to emerge; endometriosis. I am scheduled hopefully for a surgery in the beginning of March to fix this.
I am not married, I am in college with a full ride scholarship to be a nurse, but my BF and I are very decided in what we want to do with our lives and in the future how we want to be together. We would want nothing more than to raise a family, and very shortly after marriage. IVF is against our faith so we wouldn't be able to do it, but I am not opposed to adoption at all. Even if I have children I would want to adopt. The only issue is... Is there any hope? I've been told since I am still young at 19 the tissues and all will have better chance to heal, but I am just so unsure, and it hurts SO bad. Is it even worth it? Really I'm just terrified as to what lies ahead here... Thanks so much.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would say that you are very lucky that you have found your life partner already, and are committed to a family.  I would then advise you to go ahead with your family ASAP.  You still have an excellent chance of having more than one child.  Pregnancy is probably the best treatment for endometriosis and many people with endo feel better when they are expecting.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Dr B
Go on birth control until you are ready to conceive... Will keep endo from growing and scaring your reproductive organs.

Also, the only way to diagnose is through surgery.
I had my endometriosis treated with surgery and was able to get pregnant after 6 months of trying post surgery (with a little medication help, no IUI or IVF) I am almost 30. This is our first baby. So you are young...I highly recommend getting the surgery now to clean up the area and help stop further spread and damage. It will make it a lot easier to get the surgery now so your body can rebalance and heal before you try for a baby.