Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Fertility options at age 45
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fertility options at age 45

I am 45 and 1/2 and have been married a year. Before we married, we decided we would see if we could have a baby naturally (without donor eggs), but also pursue adoption. My desire to have a biological child was stronger than I expected, so we recently ended up at a Reproductive Endocrinologist, hoping they would try drug therapy on me. (A recent 3rd-day FSH test came back as high normal/10; my periods are still very regular.) The RE strongly discouraged drug options--saying at my age, there was virtually no chance of my conceiving with my own eggs--and urged me to enter the donor egg program. He did say, though, that if I wanted to try drugs, he would offer me drug treatment until I was 46, but I should only try drugs so that I could feel I tried everything, not so I would have a baby. (The doctor also discouraged adoption, saying with donor eggs I could control the pregnancy, but I wouldn't know what I was getting if I adopted.  He also said terrible things about the other big RE clinic in the area, basically suggesting they used women off the street as donors.) My husband is opposed to donor eggs, doesn't think I should try drug therapy if there's no chance it will work, and wants us to adopt. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to try drug therapy, so the RE clinic offered us the name of a social worker who would help us think through our options. Instead, however, it was an appointment in which she bombarded us with information on the donor egg program. We were also contacted four more times by the doctor's office on insurance coverage for donor eggs, next steps, etc., even though we said we weren't ready to pursue that option and were proceding with adoption. My q. for you: we ended up feeling that the donor egg program must be a huge money maker for the clinic, and we were being railroaded into an option we weren't ready for. Since we're not confident in the clinic's ethics, we are not sure we got good advice on drug therapy. Is there any hope drugs might help me conceive? Is there any point in visiting another RE clinic?