Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Follistim and pain

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Follistim and pain
I am currently taking Follistim to stimulate the follicles, my question is this, is it normal for my ovaries to hurt? Last time I was at the dr. they said my follicles were about 12. its actually a little painful to walk.
It is difficult for me to answer this question as it depends on how far along you are, moreso than the number of follicles. For example, if most of the 12 follicles are > 14 mm - 15mm in diameter, then the answer is that there could be some discomfort from the ovaries. If they are still small follicles, then ovarian pain from follistim is unlikely.
I did the Follistum back on 9/24 through 10/5. My ovaries were VERY much hurting. My ET gave me 16 eggs so I think that is why. It was much better after the retrieval I must admit. Good luck an dlet me know how it all goes!
Yes, it hurts like hell!  Very normal!  Infact, like nausea is to pregnancy, this means it is working.

Lee
Yes, it definitely hurt.  I kept thinking my ovaries were going to fall out on the floor.  They are so sensitive, but at least you know it's doing the job.  Blessings to you!
Yes it is normal and painful.  I was so relieved after retrieval . however, I was still in some pain. they took 28 eggs.

But  the pain is all worth it.
I've gone through 3 IVF cycles.  I experience a lot of pain with both stimulation and retrieval.  I am usually doubled over for weeks.  My doctor said the pain is due to production of  a large amount of follicles of substantial size.  I'm not sure if this is what they mean by over-stimulation but it hearts like crazy.