Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Having irregular periods and trying to get pregnant..help?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Hi, I am 29 yes old and my husband and I are trying to have a baby but I have irregular periods. I've always had irregular cycles cand when I was 18, was put on Birth Control due to a hormonal imbalance. Which totally regulated me. I've been off birth control for almost 3yrs now and my cycles were regular until approximately 6months.

I'm getting completely frustrated and discouraged because this is something that we really want and it seems everyone around us is pregnant or getting pregnant....it is very stressful...what should I do?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that it is time to do something proactive!  I would check some hormone levels such as thyroid and prolactin levels as well as FSH. The most common reason for irregular periods is a hormone balance and we often label it PCOS.  Frequently oral medication such as Femara or Clomid are all that is needed to help increase the number of times that you ovulate and speed up the time to conception.
Go to see your ob/gyn or a reproductive endocrinologist for help!
Good luck!
Dr B