I waited my whole life to meet the man I would start a family with. I am now 36 years old. I was on BCP for 13 years with no issues. On Feb 2010 I stopped taking them and had regular periods every 25 days. On my first attempt at pregnancy in May 2011, I became pregnant. I had a lot of discomfort due to a cyst on my ovary. I had a 6 week ultrasound and there was a heartbeat, although weaker than they wanted to see, so I went for an 8 week follow up where there was no heartbeat or growth. Two cycles later I had a chemical pregnancy. The following month I was pregnant again. My bloodwork was great and my 6 week ultrasound showed a strong heartbeat! My 8 week ultrasound showed there was no heartbeat or growth. That was in October. I had a period in December and then nothing for 9 weeks. I took progesterone for 10 days and then started my period in February. I conceived again but this time was a chemical pregnancy that ended quickly. I then started to see a RE. The OPK did not pick up ovulation after that time. She sent me for blood work in April which showed an FSH of 28. The RE said she was surprised and wanted to repeat. She had me to do a Clomid Challenge Test. My day 3 bloodwork showed elevated Estrogen 156. She told me to continue with the CCT. On Day 10, the US and bloodwork showed I had ovulated on Day 8. She put me on BCP's and on day 3, my Estrogen was 260. I was prepared to head the donor egg route until I received information that I have to pay $20,000 out of pocket up front, as my insurance does cover some of this. I just don't have it and won't for quite a while. My RE has given me little hope of having a baby with my own eggs. I am absolutely devastated and feel helpless and hopeless. My question is should I see another Dr.? Does my prognosis really look that grim? Are there any other avenues or treatments I can try? I just conceived 5 months ago, how am I not ovulating anymore? Thank you for your time.
Hi! If you were my patient, I would advise you that you certainly could see another doctor, but the news won't be any better. Your FSH and Estrogen levels are not good, and not likely to get better. This does NOT mean that you won't conceive again--in fact, I would advise you to continue to try while you are saving money for the donor egg IVF procedure. And, yes, I would advise you to go on to donor egg. Many many women have been in your situation. Whatever you do, don't give up on motherhood! This is one situation in which the end justifies the means! If you were my patient, I would also advise against using medications for ovulation induction too--just let nature take her course. There ARE many clinics that will work with women in your situation, but if funds are limited, and time is of the essence, don't spend your dollars on multiple attempts at IVF with your own eggs, donor is the best avenue. I am so sorry to say what you don't want to hear! Nothing would make me happier than to hear back that I was wrong. I hope you get your baby soon! Good luck! Dr B
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.