Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
How much bleeding is normal?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

How much bleeding is normal?

I posted about a month ago about spotting. I figured out it was a mentral cycle. That was my second one since my miscarriage. I am now in my third menstral cycle. Timing and everything seems normal. What I am concerned about it the amount of blood. This time and last time I have not had much clotting. Just bleeding. This time though I had pretty bad cramps two days in a row and the past two days been going through a pad every two to three houes. The pad is not really absorbing and if I turn it over the back is almost filled. It is also bright red. Is this normal? Is my body just trying to regulate itself? Thank you in advanced.
Hi!
The amount of bleeding you are describing would fall within the range of normal.  Very often after a miscarriage the first several periods are "different".  Clots and heavier bleeding are fairly common.  IF you bleed through a large maxi pad within an hour for more than 1-2 hours in a row, that is too much and you need to call your doctor or go to the emergency room.  
One good bit of news -- heavier, crampier periods suggest that you are ovulating again.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you for replying back. I know that is what happens, but it just reminded me too much of when I had the miscarriage (the amount) that it made me a bit nervous since it lasted 3 days.