Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
IUI timing after trigger shot

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

IUI timing after trigger shot

I am currently on my first IUI cycle and I have a question about timing of insemination. From what I have read, you generally ovulate 24- 36 hours after the trigger shot. My concern is that they will schedule the insemination 36 hours after the shot, but I will ovulate 24 hours after the shot. Wiould this just be a wasted cycle? As I dont believe the egg would still be good 12 hours later. And if this does happen, is it common? I would be very dissapointed to learn that my cycle would be wasted due to bad timing. Thankyou.
Dear bizbiz - to clarify, ovulation occurs approx 36-40 hours after the HCG trigger shot, not 24-36 hours. An IUI scheduled 36h after the injection is well-timed.

This is a bit different from urine ovulation predicition kit testing - in this scenario ovulation can occur in a broader window, theoretically anywhere from 12h-36h.

Perhaps this is where the confusion lies?
Wow.. that's a really good question.  I was just considering asking the same exact thing (but I wanted to see if I could find the answer somewhere in the forums first).  I just did my trigger shot last night and really feel like I might have ovulated earlier today (and was a little concerned since my IUI isn't scheduled until tomorrow at 11:00).  So I have the same concern whether it's possible to "miss the boat" in that 12 hour period.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the answer.  =)
  Good luck!
I just read somewhere that after the sperm is washed, they will live up to 24 hours.
i was wondering the same thing...so my RE has me to in tomorrow morning for my IUI and sat. morning again for another one...so ill have a better chance...maybe you should try that too!! Good luck.
The trigger says you should ovulate within a 24-36 hour time frame.  If you ovulate in the 24 hour frame the egg lives for 24 hours.  Sperm washed live up to 5 days.  That is why the doctors tell me to BD the night I trigger and then the actual IUI.  But just to be sure DH and I bd'd the next day too.