Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
IVF vanishing twin

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

IVF vanishing twin
At my 7 week us, the docotr spotted a second gestational sack he had not seent he week before.  The first one had a heartbeat of 167.  The second one he couldn't see a baby in.  He explained to me about the 'vanishing twin syndrome' and told me I may experience some bleeding, and not to panic if I do...I don't know anyone who has been through this, but have read a little about it.  I'm just uncertain what to expect...a lot of blood?  A little?  Should I call my OB/Gyn that I just got placed back with?  Its scary to think I may be miscarrying and think its just the other sack expelling.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you will very likely have no symptoms at all.  The second sac will probably just reabsorb.  If you DO have any symptoms, it is usually just like a light period and no worse.  If you have heavy bleeding, you should definitely contact your doctor but you probably won't.
Vanishing twin is one of those syndromes that we see much more often now that we have such sensitive ultrasounds.  Most women who had that in the past never knew about it.
I would definitely try to reassure you if you were my own patient,.
Hope this helps!
Dr B