Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Implantation after extended breastfeeding

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

I am in the process of weaning my 24 month old (I'm nursing just a few minutes a day in the morning). I have had two periods, the first was on the light side, the second was 24 days later and was normal, maybe a bit heavy.  Generally I am very regular, 27 day cycle.
I went to my obgyn on day 10 and she said everything looked fine, there were follicles, they were the right size  and so on   but the endometrium was a bit thin.  This is our second month of trying and we tried on the 10th, 11th and 13th day of my current cycle. The problem is I don't know when I ovulated and I have read that extended breastfeeding can affect implantation (that is why the endometrium is thin?).

I just turned 38 so I feel I do not have much time left to try for another baby and I have heard that it can take up to two years for your hormones to normalize.

Should I ask my doctor for hormone treatment?  Or should I just wait for my body to get back to normal on its own?  

Hi!
Yes, your endometrium is probably thin because of breastfeeding for several months.
Breastfeeding tends to increase prolactin levels which tends to reduce estrogen levels and estrogen is what stimulates the endometrium.

If you were my patient, I would probably jump start your cycle with some Femara.
It sounds to me as though once your body "kicks in" you may be able to do it on your own without medications, but it could be awhile before that happens.

I would prescribe Femara for 5 days starting on cycle day 3, and then monitor for ovulation.  An ultrasound on day 12 or so would help to determine whether there was a dominant follicle, and also check the uterine lining for the trilaminar appearance that it should have.

If all went well with the Femara cycle, I would then give my patient the option of trying a natural cycle vs. continuing with Femara.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Dr B