Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Low Ovarian Reserve

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Low Ovarian Reserve

My husband and I just had a follow up with our RE regarding our recent round of fertility testing.  I am 32 he is 35.  My husband's SA results were excellent.  As for me, my tubes are open, uterus normal.  My cycle monitoring showed that I developed a good size follicle (2.2) and the peak estrogen was excellent.  My peak progesterone was adequate (though, not perfect).  During the course of testing the Gyno. who did my HSG removed a cervical polyp near/at the opening of my cervix.  My FSH was normal(7.6) but my AFC was low (7) (i posted about this before).  My RE said that my ovarian reserve is low based on the AFC but that it's possible the reason we haven't conceived as yet (10 cycles) may simply have just been the cervical polyp that may have been a mechanical obstruction for the sperm.  He suggested that we try for another 2-4 cycles naturally and then come back at the end of September (13 cycles total) to do an AMH test and develop a treatment plan.  I am curious, if my ovarian reserve is actually low, in light of all the other testing, is it still likely that we CAN conceive on our own?  I'm just not clear on whether low ovarian reserve (at this level, at my age) is a bar to conception in and of itself...  I'd like to have some affirmation that even if my reserve is low its still possible for us to conceive  - because i have my doubts that the polyp was the problem... I don't want to keep trying naturally if the odds are against us.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would probably suggest 2 more cycles. but after that would develop some kind of treatment plan. I agree that removing that polyp was a good idea, but also with you that it was probably not the main problem.
IF your ovarian reserve is indeed low, the one thing you don't have is time.  Yes, you can conceive with your own eggs!  ALL the ovarian reserve measures is what your response to ovarian stimulation with medications is likely to be, and what your chances of success with IVF are likely to be.  BUT--ovarian reserve only gets worse with time, so don't waste much more!
Mother Nature does a wonderful job if you let her, so give her a limited amount of time, and then decide how much time and money are available for more fertility treatments.
At your age, with your numbers, I would definitely try long and hard with my own eggs, but would not rule out egg/embryo donation if things weren't happening too!
Good luck!
DR B