Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Low sperm count on Androgel?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low sperm count on Androgel?

My husband and I are just attempting to start a family. I had my Implanon removed last month. My husband was put on Androgel 1.62% September 1st due to low testosterone levels (had labs done because of excessive fatigue ect). In my research I have just found out that this can actually DECREASE his sperm count and our chances to conceive, is this true?  He is feeling better on the medication so don't want to stop it if we don't have to. If this does reduce our chances are there alternatives? His PCP is not exactly helpful and has given us no answers & didn't say the med would reduce sperm so not sure if this is true?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you two were my patients, I would start by recommending a semen analysis.  If your husband's testosterone level is low, his sperm count may already be low.  You are also correct that taking testosterone can lower the sperm count.  I think your best option would be to have a consultation with a reproductive endocrinologist.  There are MANY options including Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and ICSI for couples with low sperm counts.
Your case may be complicated however, and a RE is probably the type of doctor best suited to help you two sort out your options.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker