Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Lupron and Alcohol? IVF Cycle question

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Lupron and Alcohol? IVF Cycle question

I am on Lupron .05ml and estridiol twice a day and a vivelle patch every three days. I am on the 23rd day of a IVF (donor cycle). My question is about alcoholic drinks. One nurse told me to re-frane from alcohol while I am on Lupron, the other nurse told me I don't really have to refrain until after the transfer.

I have been refraining from alcohol, BUT, my husband and I go to dinner with all our friends every Friday night and I have had one glass of wine on two of those group dinners.

Does anyone know more about this? Should I drink no alcohol at all not even at my friday night dinners out with my  group of friends? Please let me know.
Hi!
There is no important reason that I am aware of to refrain from drinking socially while you are on Lupron.  Obviously, you will need to stop drinking alcohol after the embryo transfer.  It is also important not to drink HEAVILY while you are in cycle, as it might reduce your success rate.  More than one-two drinks per day would be considered heavy drinking.
If you were my patient, I would advise you to enjoy wine with your friends on Fridays until the transfer--after that it may be a long several months of soda with a twist of lime!
I hope so!
Good luck!
Dr B
You mean you can't have any alcoholic drinks at all after the embryo transfer?

I thought you have to refrain from drinking only after you're confirmed pregnant?
I was instructed not to drink during my IVF cycle as it could interfere with the medications I was on, and also affect my cycle. You shouldn't drink after the transfer because you can affect the implantation process. Your body needs to be a safe and healthy place for your embryo.