Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Mature follicles

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Mature follicles

I take Clomid 50mg on CD 3-7. For the last three months I have had an ultrasound to confirm a mature follicle and then a trigger shot to induce ovulation. I have never had any blood work. Recently I have heard people talking about testing estradiol levels to confirm that the egg is maturing adn not just the follicle. I am wondering how common this is, and is it really nessesary. We know that my follicles are maturing and getting to a good size, is it possible that the egg inside them is not?

Thank you so much!!
With regular periods, and evidence on ultrasound of a follicle developing, I don't think there is any benefit to adding blood work.  One question is why are you taking clomid? If for irregular or absent periods, I would continue to try for another couple of months.

On the other hand, if for unexplained infertility with regular periods, then if clomid is going to work it should have done so within the first three tries. If this is the case. you might want to speak with your provider about more complex treatment options such as injection medications or IVF.

Good luck!
The blood estrogen (estradiol) level is also measured when necessary. As follicles/eggs mature, the estrogen level rises. Estrogen levels are useful in determining the degree of egg maturity

If the follicle is too small, the lining too thin, and the estrogen level too low, this is related to a condition called follicular immaturity. With follicular immaturity, the egg itself is immature when it is ovulated and will not fertilize well

Q: What should estradiol (E2) level be at time of hCG trigger?

A: The E2 level should be 200-600pg/ml per 18mm follicle. Some doctors are content with a minimum level of 150, but higher tends to be better.

I have PCOS and was put on Clomid, however because my estrogen is so low, it didn't work much at all...my follicles developed, but my estrogen stayed very low. So, next is hormone injections. Has anyone had a similar experience with success? I'm really worried that because I didn't respond to Clomid that NOTHING will work! This is so emotional and scary. Any feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Hi! I was on clomid for a couple of months. I had some issues with my Estrogen not rising as it should as well! I then moved on to Bravelle injections, and the cycle was COMPLETELY different in a good way! I also got my BFP that cycle. Many people who have poor response to clomid will go on to have good luck with injectables.