Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Metformin and Lactic Acidosis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Metformin and Lactic Acidosis

Good Morning

I was just recently diagnosed with pcos a few days ago, after trying to concieve (conceive) for almost 7 years.  I had one pregnany which resulted in a miscarriage just this past janurary.

Anyway, I started metformin 3 days ago.  500 mg ER once daily until next week i get bumped up to 1000 mg daily ER.

My question is, since starting it I havent felt well.   I have had a constant headache that will not go away with sleep or IBprofun.
I feel a little nauseas but nothing crazy. I also dont have any dieareah(sp)

How common is lactic acidosis, its scaring me to death.  I normally have an irregular heartbeat because of PVCS.  How do i know if i have to run to the hospital or brush it off to side effects of the medication.

How long does it take to get lactic acidosis after starting metformin?  A month, a year....3 days? lol

Im very concerned, i do want to stay on the medication because i want to get pregnant.  But i am very concerned.  Any help?

Thank you in advance
NINA