Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
No period after m/c and hysteroscopy

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

No period after m/c and hysteroscopy

We are trying for baby#2; had Mirena inserted twice (a total of 10 yrs) removed it and concieved after 1 cycle but miscarried at 7 weeks in mid June didn't have a period after miscarriage; it was a natural miscarriage. Consulted a fertility specialist who advised me to go through a laparoscopy to find out whats going on in the uetrus they found mild endo, adhesions in the uterus which was removed by hysteroscopy; now its been 5 week and no period... is this normal? Dr. has called me in for a ultrasound to see the uterine lining tomorrow... I am very nervous. Please help.
Hi!
I'm sure by now you have already had the ultrasound done.  If you were my patient, I would reassure you that a short delay in the menstrual period following surgery is nothing to worry about.  Often after a miscarriage, or after surgery the cycle can be thrown off by a few weeks, so I would not be terribly concerned.

The first thing I would do is a pregnancy test, and then, if negative, I would probably watch and wait for awhile to see if your cycle has been shifted by a few days and your period is just late.

The one concern is that new adhesions may have formed within the uterus, but if that is the case, I'm sure your RE will know how to address that problem.

Good luck!
Dr B
Thanks for your reply Dr. Brown. Here's an update: I had an u/s and Dr. found my lininig to be scant; the next day after the appt i started period. Dr. asked me to get the HSG done and got some blood work AMSH i think to check my ovarian reserves. Got the HSG results back saying that I still have some scarring in the uterus as the cavity did not fill-up completely. The Dr. is possibly looking into getting another hysteroscopy to remove the scarring. I am just worried that after hysteroscopy I might develop another scarring and this could be a recurring problem. The Dr, cleaned everything inside my uterus on 09/02/10 and confirmed that I don't have Asherman's syndrome.
A related discussion, No periods No pregnancy !! was started.
A related discussion, Can I need for a hyestorscopy was started.