Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Ovulation ache in hip, did I actually release the egg?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

If you have an ovarian cyst, does that mean you haven't actually ovulated? I'm confused. Beginning around ovulation sometimes I start to get a dull ache in my left ovary and as the days go by it starts to go to my hip area and sometimes the whole area is achy and it stops after AF.  

I read that the cyst is from the egg not actually bursting through the ovarian wall??  Then I read that it could be the corpus luteum swelling after releasing the egg??  But if the follicle never bursts through, would my temps still go up as they have been after supposed ovulation?  

Going by my BBT charts it appears as if I'm ovulating but I'd like to know if these ovary pains mean I didn't release the egg.

Thanks in advance!
If your temperature chart looks like you are ovulating, then you are. A while back, some infertility doctors theorized about a syndrome called the luteinized unruptured follicle syndrome - the theory was that the follicle, or cyst, did not release the egg. This theory has pretty much gone by the wayside. Some women experience pain with ovulation, and there is even a word for this - mittleschmerz - which in German means 'pain in the middle' (i.e. mid-cycle). You are right, after ovulation, the follicle or cyst that the egg developed in collapses for awhile, but then reforms as a cyst called a corpus luteum. The best sign that you are ovulating is if your periods are regular. If they are regular, you are ovulating, whether or not you have that hip pain.
Do you know for a fact that you have a cyst?  You can definitely have "normal" ovulation pains.  I haven't had a cyst (and I've been checked) and I have ovulation pains each month...sometimes before, sometimes the day of ovulation.  Just wondering if you had actually been diagnosed with having ovarian cysts because regular pains during ovulation can be quite normal and can indicate that you did indeed ovulate.
In my case, I ovulate every month but still produce cysts. Last August I had a large cyst removed from my right ovary and during my in vitro treatment they removed another one.
No doubt that ovarian cysts cause a lot of pain. I was somewhat relieved after the surgeries but my body keeps producing these cysts.
Every month 10 days before my period I get cramps which get worse as my period gets closer. They haven't diagnosed or seen endometriosis but that's what they suspect I have.
Have you been checked for endos ?
I'm relieved to know that the dull aches could be the result of actual ovulation.  I was so scared my eggs were getting stuck!!  The aches are not painful, just dull and I feel it almost the whole time after ovulation.  I do also get those Mittleshirtz(sp) pains and that's a different pain, more like pelvic pain and that seems to be the day before and the day after O.

Thanks for responding!