Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Possibly infertile?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Possibly infertile?

Hello,
I'm a twenty one year old female and for the past month or so my boyfriend and I are trying to conceive with no luck. He has a daughter with his ex, so I know it cannot be him but me. I do have endometriosis passed on from my mother but she had two children both from one night stands. I've tracked my mucus thoughout the months and a few days before each period I feel pain from either my left or right ovary in light cramps but they quickly fade. I honestly am not sure if I can have kids but I am hopeful, is there anyway to tell other than going to the doctors? And any tips on how to conceive?
Tags: help, Pregnancy, infertile
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that your age is definitely in your favor.  It is unlikely that endometriosis has had enough time to do too much damage to your reproductive organs yet, although nothing is impossible.
If you have regular monthly cycles, that is in your favor too.
You could get ovulation predictors from the pharmacy to help with timing intercourse.  
You should be taking a supplement with at least 400mcg of folic acid--this has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of certain kinds of birth defects.
85% of normal fertile couples will conceive within ONE YEAR of unprotected intercourse--so most doctors will not do a lot of testing or medications until you have tried for at least that much time.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker