Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Pregnancy at 39

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Pregnancy at 39

My husband and I have been having unprotected sex for about 2 year without resulting in a pregnancy. I am soon going to turn 39. I know that my chances to get pregnant are low at this age but I am wondering what the exact chance is to get pregnant in the next year?
Both I and my husband are healthy, normal weight, no smoking or alcohol. He had two childred in his previous marriage. M periods are still regular usually 26 to 27 days (ranging 25-29) Does this  mean I am still ovulating?
My periods are very short for the last several years, mostly 3 days, sometimes only 2. Could that be a problem?  I start spotting few days before the period.  What would be the most fertile days in my cycle?  
What are the most common reasons for infertility at my age and what can be done to result in succesful pregnancy?
Thank you
The answer to your question depends on how aggressive you wish to be with treatment? If you decide you just want to continue to try on your own, then perhaps only a 10%-20% chance in the next year. If you decide to pursue in vitro fertilization, then closer to 20% chance of having a baby each time you try.

After two years of trying, have you considered seeing a fertility specialist? If your periods are regular, then you are ovulating. Your partner should have a sperm count, and it would be helpful to do an X-ray of your uterus and fallopian tubes called an HSG to see if they are open. The spotting before your period may not be important, but it could be due to a polyp or fibroid in the cavity of the uterus. The most common cause of infertility at your age is simply age, but it is certainly not unusual for other causes to contribute. The most fertile days of your cycle are 2 days before you ovulate, the day before you ovulate, and the day of ovulation. For someone with a 26-27 day cycle, this will usually be between days 12-17. You can purchase urine ovulation prediction kits to help. But....timing while helpful is probably not that important. If you were going to get pregnant, it should have happened at some point in the past two years.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Pregnant at 39 was started.