Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Prolactin levels and fertility

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Prolactin levels and fertility

Long story somewhat short...my boobs were leaking milk when I was about 22 and I went to the Dr.. He did blood work and an MRI (to make sure I didn't have any tumore, that was neg., thank gosh)and said my prolactin level was too high.  They checked it again later that year and the level was ok for someone who was not preggo.  My boobs have never stopped leaking.  They leak only enough that you can squeeze a drop of milk out if you are trying to.  I was reaading the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and it dawned on me that this might be our fertility issue.  Apparently if prolactin levels are too high it inhibits estrogen making.  You need estrogen to make the cervical mucus to concieve (conceive).  Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions or comments?  I am going to the DR. on Tuesday and would love to be well prepared.  Are there any easy remedies?  My husband and I are tcc and I would like to get the show on the road as I am now 27.  
Great questions. Three scenarios exist:

1) If your prolactin is elevated and your periods are irregular, then taking a medicine to 'normalize' your prolactin will often lead to regular periods again and also cessation of the breast discharge. This almost always leads to a successful pregnancy

2) Prolactin is elevated but your periods are still regular. In this scenario, I would still recommend taking a medicine to lower the prolactin if you are trying to have a baby, but with less confidence that this will result in achieving a pregnancy

3) Prolactin is normal, periods are regular, but breast discharge is present. In this scenario, I would still recommend taking a medicine to lower the prolactin if you are trying to have a baby, but with even less confidence that this will result in achieving a pregnancy

There are two commonly used medicines for this, parlodel and dostinex. Dostinex is easier to take (only need to take it twice a week; fewer GI side effects) but more expensive if your plan does not cover it.

If scenarios 2 or 3 best describe you, then there may be other causes for your difficulties trying to conceive and so you may need to consider other treatments in addition to those to stop the breast discharge.

hi there.
i was taking blood test too when i was trying to conceive and found out that my prolaction was too high, it was 43.xx for range 1-30 if i am not wrong. i keep the file in my cupboard.
then i took dostinex twice a week, after two weeks i took the blood test again and found out that my prolaction was too low after taking medicine, it was 0.6 for the above range. then  my doctor told me that i have to stop taking the dostinex
what the hell is that? the doctor just told me taking this after that stop taking that. i need detailed explanations.
then i went through some blood test. i ve been told that my progresterone was too low to ovulate. then doctor gave me clomid from the 2nd - 5th day of my period.
after 1 month ovulation monitoring still  no ovulation yet. there was ground follicle in it on my 18 th period then i came again on my 20th period, i ve been told by doctor that theres no ovulation yet. she told me that i get my period i have to come again.
i might come to be more positive thinking to take this treatment eventhough i feel like depressed too sometime.
i read in many article, that taking clomid for ovulation inducer can lead some side effects in the future time, thus i slight doubt on it and a bit worried about the side effects.
but for conceiving thought, i do anything for getting pregnant.

keep up our wish on it and positive thinking, because pregnancy happens only by His Bless.
I have this same question on the person to person fertility web site.  There is some more information for you on that forum.  I go to the DR on Tuesday.  My DR has three months to fix it or I will seek another opinion.  Lets get the baby show on the road ...you know....I know my levels have been to high in the past and was refered to endrocrinologist.  You might try that.  There are also at least two other med you can take Parlodel and the other one starts with a B (look it up)  those are some other option for you.  You could check to see if you could take half of the Dosinex dose you were taking as well.  There has got to be something they can do to get you hormones under control.  B/C with eleveated levels sometimes over 20 you won't get preggo.  I mean shoot, if they can put a man on the moon...Just a few thoughts. :)

Have a good day
summer0728
A related discussion, prolacin level is high normal was started.
A related discussion, high prolactin levels was started.