Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Really Worried
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Really Worried

Dear Doctor,

Pretty simple situation.  Had a one night stand with a girl.  We used a condom but it broke and we didn't notice until after we finished.  She is not on an alternate type of birth control.  She was not sure where she was in her cycle but she was not on her period and she said that it had been over for a while before we had sex.  She guessed at least 10-14 days at a minimum.  Within 6-8 hours after sex she took an emergency contraceptive (Next Choice One Dose).  Everything that I have read seems to suggest that that the odds of getting pregnant from a one-time sexual encounter without protection are very low even without emergency contraceptive.  When combined with usage of the emergency contraceptive (most of what I have read says 95% effective if taken within 12 hours), am I worried over nothing?  I am really terrified here re pregnancy (STDs too, but that's a different issue).  It would really help me sleep if you could put my mind at ease here.  Thank you so very much for all the work that you do on this site.
603463_tn?1220630455
HI!
Your question posted twice for some reason.  Same answer.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank