Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Reson for constant pain

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Reson for constant pain

Dear Dr. Brown,

Recently i have been diagnosed with urinary tract infection ( im 27 years old and this is my first UTI). The urine culture showed that i had 10 000 bacteria e.coli per ml. The doctor prescribed me cipro. At the same time i had bacterial vaginosis and yeast. I am having recurrent bacterial vaginosis since i got sexually active. They have prescribed me always oral flagyl but this time the doctor prescribed me intravaginal metronidazole and oral antifungal medicines. It seems that intravaginal metronidazole is more effective then the oral one, and i hope that it is for a long time. Now my question is why do i still continue to have constant pains in the lower abdomen, where the uterur, urethra and end of the colon is? Uterus and ovaries ultrasound was completely normal. I feel at times very bloated and my lower tummy is tender and strong to touch, plus the constant pain in the lower abdomen, and pain when i urinate as well. What do you suggest or what is your advice?

Many thanks for your help
HI!  
I'm glad that you found the vaginal medication helpful!

As far as the pain, there are fundamentally three sources of pain in that area:
1) the bladder--infection or spasms or interstitial cystitis could cause pain
2) the reproductive organs--again, infection could be a cause, or endometriosis is a possibility that would not show up on an ultrasound
3) the colon--this is the MOST common spot that I find trouble.  Especially if bloat is a symptom.  You might want to do some research on irritable bowel syndrome to see if the symptoms are like yours.
If you don't think irritable bowel sounds correct, check out endometriosis--there's lots of information available on line!
Good luck!
Dr B