Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
TSH Levels And Infertility

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

TSH Levels And Infertility

Feeling frustrated and looking for a bit of help or advice. We have been going through the infertility cycle for a few years now.

clomid, 5 failed IUIs, One Cancelled IVF

After the latest issue (cancelled IVF), something came back up. Way back when we started at our first clinic, they said the bloodwork had come back and showed that I was hyperthyroidism and I needed to go to my primary doctor to have it checked out. I did this and my primary doctor then came back and said I was hypothyroidism with the anti bodies for hashimotos. She said that I was to continue testing every few months but that there was nothing she could do for treatment.

The TSH levels on the test have been as low as 4.11 and high as 4.56.

I have many of the symptoms of hypothyrodism. (fatigue, foggy feeling, constipation, anxiety issue, dry hair, etc.)

Reading on this message board and others, it seems that many REs are treating patients with high TSH levels until there levels are in the 1-2 range. Is this true? Is it possible to bring TSH levels down to the 1-2 range even if I have not reached over the magic 5.0 number?

Your thoughts and help are appreciated.
Hi there.

Your TSH levels are not high, and do not constitute hypothyroidism. With the presence of antibodies, you will very likely need thyroid replacement at some time, but if the levels of TSH you describe are recent, not at present.

The thyroid issue is, unfortunately, not the cause of your infertility.
I have read that in America they are bringing the upper limit of TSH down to 2.5, that means if you are 2.5 or over you should be treated with thyroxine.
My colleague took part in research for a paper investigating the TSH levels of euthyroid women trying to concieve (conceive) and their TSH was between 0.9 and 1.7, this is in the normal population.
I am hypothyroid myself and my TSH before treatment was 4.5, classed as borderline hypo, but I had all the symptoms and very high antibody levels, I couldn't stay awake, and even when awake the brain fog was terrible. Thyroxine made me feel human again.

Jeez, I hate to disagree with a doctor, but there is little doubt you have subclinical hypothyroidism.  You need to find a doctor (either GP or endocrinologist) who will treat you with a low dosage of levothyroxine such as Synthroid.  The new standard for TSH is 3.3...anything over that should be treated.  Your target TSH should be around 1.0

I am so TIRED of doctors allowing patients to run around (and feel BAD) with TSH levels that are questionable, such as yours.

I was told my lab results were okay with a TSH level of 3.75 and 6 months later I lost 40% of my hair within a month's time and I was so exhausted and moody.  My dermatologist spotted it and ran a thyroid panel.  My TSH was at 6.43.  Not very high, but boy did I feel really bad and sluggish.  Your thyroid gland controls sooooo much!

Also, please ask your doctor to run a thyroid antibody test to determine if your thryoid is not full-functioning due to Hashimoto's (this is an auto-immune disease and the antibodies attack your thyroid).  If your antibodies come back positive, it's only a matter of time before you'll need some T3 replacement (levothyroxine).

Keep looking for a doctor until you find one who will treat you...they are out there and they understand!  Take a copy of your current lab results with you!  Best wishes!
I'm sorry, I just re-read your post and see that you tested positive for the antibodies....I CANNOT believe your doctor doesn't at least have you on 25-50mcg of Synthroid or equivalent!

The brilliant Dr. Mark Lupo at the Thyroid Forum suggests patients reach a target TSH level of around 1.0 for optimal chance of conception and pregnancy.

You're spinning your wheels until you get your TSH level down...5 is too high and the antibodies could interfere with pregnancy/conception.

Also, you may want to google Selenium and thyroid antibodies.  Some studies suggest that Selenium (found OTC for about $6) can lower thyroid antibody levels.