Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Taking Provera

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Taking Provera

I haven't had a period for over a year. I was prescribed provera to get my period. I am on my fourth day of taking the pill. I called the Drs office to ask if once I got my period was I supposed to quit taking the pill or continue and when I should get my period. Can anyone tell me? I didn't get an answer from the Drs office.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to finish all of your pills whether or not your period starts.  Also, you should expect your period within 2 weeks of finishing the medication.  IF you don't have a period you need to call your doctor, because it could indicate a hormone imbalance that will need to be further worked up (eg. do you have a thyroid or pituitary problem?)
IF you DO get your period, it might be quite a monster.  Sometimes if it has been awhile since your last period, there can be quite a build up of tissue within the uterus.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you. So I shouldn't get my period until a while after I am done with the provera? The nurse at my doctors office said I should get it by the 18th day (which would be the last day of the pills) or the next day. Tests says my thyroid is fine. My doctor just had me so more blood test to see what else it could be. I sometimes get the symthoms of a period but do not get it.