Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Trying to conceive

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Trying to conceive

I am almost 26 years old, I have a 4 year old daughter and am trying to have a another baby.
We have been trying for almost a year now and nothing has come of it. It's starting to make me feel inadequate, like i'm not fit to do what only a woman is capable of.
When i was born my mother had an std that spread to me and the doctors had to do major surgery in order to get rid of it, they said the chances of me having a child would be slim but i proved that wrong.
Also; when i was pregnant with my first daughter i had developed Toxemia (i'm not sure if that would cause future complications or not). I ended up having to have an emergency cesarean and i feel like my body just hasn't been right ever sense.
I get daily migraines which have started getting worse over the last year, my cycles are getting heavier (but are always on time) and iv'e gotten a lot more aches in pains in my body.
I don't know what is going on and i'm scared for myself and i'm scared that i won't be able to have any more children.
Can someone please offer some advice as to what i should do here. I'm worried for so many reasons right now and it's stressing me out.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would recommend that you start a fertility evaluation.  I usually start by documenting that you are ovulating.  Ovulation predictor strips are helpful for that (and for timing intercourse!)  The next things I would suggest doing are a semen analysis for your husband, and a hysterosalpingogram--or dye study to check the fallopian tubes for blockages.
These are the most common areas of infertility and a general doctor, such ar your ob/gyn would be able to do these tests for you.
Most women who go are happy that they did, so don't wait any longer!
Good luck!
Dr B