Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Vaginal Changes after C-Section Birth
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vaginal Changes after C-Section Birth

I had a Classical C-Section January 5th. and I noticed I feel very different down there in my vagina. My question is, what changes happen to you after your C-Section birth of your child? How long until it goes back to normal? Does it go back to normal? and What happens if you have sex before your 6 weeks is over?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would be somewhat concerned that you feel so different from before.  Most of the changes happen above the cervix and vagina and shouldn't affect the lower genital tract.  I would definitely want to do an exam to be sure everything was sewed back together properly.
(I have heard of a case in which a woman's cervix was found inside her bladder after she had a c section.) The case I described is an extreme one.  Probably the changes that most people feel are related to swelling and fluid shifts.  Most of the changes get pretty much back to normal--nothing is ever quite the same (sorry!)
Many of my patients did not wait the entire six weeks.  Those who did knew what they were coming home to on the evening of their postpartum exam!
I have rarely seen a complication from "jumping the gun" but always recommend the six week wait too.
Good luck!
Dr B
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks for answering my question Dr. Elaine its nice to have a Dr. on here to answer the questions you have when you get home. :)
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now