Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Want to have twin girls

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Want to have twin girls

Hi, I'm a 28 yr old women with two boys. My husband and I want to have twins even though twins don't run in our family.Is there a chance that the twins would be girls? How long would the process take for us to get pregnant with twins?

Thansks,
Amy
Dear AMY267

There are no guarantees that you will have twins. Unfortunatley, twin pregnancies cannot be 'ordered'. Even with pregnancies achieved by powerful injection fertility drugs, the chance of a pregnancy being twins is only 25%-35%. The chance of twins both being girls, if twins occurs, is only 25%. Thus, there is a 1/16 chance that any pregnancy achieved with fertility drugs would be a twin pregancy with twin girls. Although most twin pregnancies end up OK, the fact is that twins are more likely to be born prematurely, 4 times more likely to have cerebral palsy, and 7 times more likely to die within their first year of life than singletons. Infertility specialists are in fact working on ways to decrease twin pregnancies because they are so much riskier than singletons.

The only sure way to have a girl is via preimplantation genetic diagnosis for sex selection, combined with in vitro fertilization. This is an approximate $20,000 proposition, for a 40%-45% chance of pregnancy.

We have great technology available in 2007, but we are still not at the point where we can 'order up' twins and daughters with 100% guarantees, and without risking the health of the babies.

Sorry  :-(
I imagine you are very young, correct?  This is really your goal-- twin girls?  Do you know the risks to your babies health with a multiple birth?  I mean if it is a fertility issue then I guess we risk it with twins, but I don't think you'll find one person on this board ttc who is concerned with gender.
Only fertility meds could increase risk of twins.  And I do mean risk.... Are you aware that twins are a high risk pregnancy category?  Risk for prematurity and a host of other issues.  You also can't force a gender.  There are suggestions on when in your cycle to try for a boy or a girl.  I believe a girl you try a couple of days from ovulation and for a boy closer to exact time of egg release. A lot of this is not based in definite evidence.  But you can't have sex to time for twins! Unless you are constantly monitored by sonogram to see if you are releasing two eggs... which would never happen.
Mary's right, twin pregnancy is very risky. And in regards to wanting only girls, I understand you already have boys but ANY child is a blessing not just a specific gender. Be thankful for what you get, a healthy baby is better then none at all! There are plenty of women who can't have ANY babies be blessed that you can atleast concieve (conceive)!
Yep, i would be happy with any gender of baby.  i have been ttc for 4 years with no luck.  be happy with any baby