Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
What the heck does this mean

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

What the heck does this mean

As a lot of you know.. lately I have been posting concerns about when I ovulated.. mostly because I have had more than one preg symptom (the biggest one being that the day I was supposed to ovulate (Sept. 6th)  my stomach started feeling very bloated and uncomfortable. I have NEVER had this before..  Everyday since then it has been the same.. on-going cramped feeling in my lower stomach & it also is stuck about a bit. The cramping isnt the same as menstrual cramps.. it freaks me out mostly because it is the same uncomfortable feeling I had when i was pregnant in April (mc'ed..)

Anyways to the point- I took a test yesterday which came out to be neg.. tho I am not due for my period until the 17-20th. I just went to the restroom and when i wiped there was quite a bit of very thick white stringy discharge.. not thin but THICK milky. I did the finger test like you do to check for ovulation and it doesnt break after you pull your fingers apart ... it almost "hangs" off one of my finders!! (Sorry its kinda gross ) But i keep getting things that are making me question it.... WHAT does this mean? Anybody?
Hi there. Using your body to assess whether or not you have ovulated just is not that accurrate. Bloating, cervical mucous, etc just are not good signs or indicators one way or another. There are more accurrate ways to know if you are ovulating or not. First, if you are having regular periods every month, then you are definitely ovulating, usually around 14 days prior to the onset of a period. Second, urine ovulation prediction kits, with which you start testing for ovulation around day 10 of your cycle, are quite accurrate. Third, if you have ovulated a blood test for a hormone called progesterone (which is only present in the blood during the two weeks of your period AFTER ovulation) can be done between days 21-25 and if it is positive that too confirms ovulation.

On the other hand, if your period is irregular (more than every 35 days) you may not be ovulating..

Since you were able to recently conceive, although unfortunately a miscarriage, you are probably ovulting.