Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Why does Femara (and Clomid) cause cysts?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Why does Femara (and Clomid) cause cysts?

I was wondering what the medical explanation was for why fertility drugs cause cysts?  If you do get a cysts at the end of a cycle, does that mean you never had a chance of getting pg from that cycle?  Is there anything a person can do to prevent the cysts?

I did several cycles of Clomid with no cysts; then one cycle of Femara that produced 2 cysts.  Now I'm ending another cycle of Femara and believe that I have cysts again.  What is the purpose of taking the fertility meds if the cycle is doomed to end in cysts?

I do ovulate on my own; the meds were to produce more and better quality eggs.
Related Discussions
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
Both Clomid and Femara are anti estrogen drugs.  They fool your body into thinking that it needs to produce more estrogen and your body responds by telling your ovaries to "get to work".  The ovaries then produce follicles.  Follicles are cysts that contain eggs. Normal follicles are cysts that are about 2 cm in size.  Sometimes the hyperstimulation causes the ovaries to over due it and cysts form.  These usually regress on their own once the medication is stopped.  
In your particular case, it may be that you should not use fertility drugs.  They may be counter-productive.  
If you were my patient, I would consider referring you to an RE for IVF.  Their protocols simultaneously suppress AND stimulate the ovaries so that lots of eggs develop without lots of cysts.
Your other alternative is to decrease your dose of Femara or Clomid. or stop them altogether and let your ovaries do things their own way.
Good luck!
Dr B
3 Comments
Blank
1057389_tn?1325469187
i was wondering the same exact thing ! i kept getting cysts from the clomid...then i wasnt able to be given the trigger shot because of the cysts.
Blank
A related discussion, Post-injection/IUI cycle cysts was started.
Blank
1450437_tn?1284906383
A related discussion, follicular cyst was started.
Blank
A related discussion, pregnancy was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank