Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
after a miscarriage

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

after a miscarriage

I just had a D&C... bc of a natural miscarriage at 8 weeks. It was very unexpected. But my question is... how can i make my womb (and body in general) healthier.  I have lost a lot of weight also...I just want to become healthier so that I can try again and know my womb and body is healthy and decrease the risks of another miscarriage.
Hi!
Other than leading a healthy lifestyle, there is not too much you can do.  One thing you may want to investigate is whether you have a septum in the womb.  A saline ultrasound or an HSG are two types of tests that can help to rule that out.  A septum is a dividing membrane within the uterus (some women are born with this ) and it can cause fertility problems.  If it is present, it can be removed with surgery.  Fibroids are benign muscle-cell  tumors that can develop in the uterus and can cause similar problems.

I would suggest that you have a complete physical exam as well to evaluate the weight loss.  One condition that can cause both weight loss and miscarriage is hyperthyroidism.
Thyroid testing is easy to do, and the condition is relatively easy to treat.

Be sure that you are taking your folic acid -400 mcg daily too.

One further suggestion--accupuncture is excellent for stimulating blood flow to organs and tissues, so you might want to considert that too.

Most miscarriages are caused by abnormal development of the fetus, and are not anyone's "fault" so, be sure not to spend too much time blaming yourself!

Good luck!
Dr B