Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
am i able to concieve(conceive) after an abortion

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Two years ago i fell pregnant by my previous boyfriend but I  had an abortion. I am now ready to have a baby with my husband. Who has already had a child, we have been trying to concieve (conceive) for the past 8 months and nothing has happened.Could the fact that I had an abortion have something to do with me not getting pregnant? My period is never late apart from miner cramps. I am a little under weight. help!!
Dear fozzy380-

While it is possible that the abortion, or any surgical procedure for that matter, could cause scarring of the uterus and fallopian tubes, it is actually very unlikely and uncommon.

As a rule we start to worry about infertility if a couple have been trying for 12 months and have failed to conceive; 6-8 months if the woman is older than age 35.

I would recommend that you continue to try for another 2-3 months, and if still not pregnant make an appointment to see a reproductive endocrinologist/infertility specialist. If you end up needing to see the fertility doctor, they will do tests to see if you are ovulating (which I am sure you are based on your regular periods), to check your partner's sperm count (which hopefully will be normal since he has a child, but which is not always the case), and to see if your fallopian tubes are open. With the results of this test, they will be able to recommend the best treatment.

Good luck.
you should be able to unless there was a complication. I had an abortion procedure, and I've become pregnant two times since then.
i have hypothyroidism and i m taking pill for that. i want to know does hypothyroidism affect the chances to get pregnant? i ve been trying to conceive for 8 month and didnt get success yet. i havent get more test yet cos doc said that do wait for atlest one year after that we ll get tests.