Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
birth defect risks with ICSI

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

birth defect risks with ICSI

hello Dr Brown, Elaine,
I did 3 IUI without any pregnancy. Now I am going to try IVF and as I am 42 years of age my Dr has suggested ICSI with IVF (though semen analysis for my husband does not show any problems). I am very confused about ICSI and have concerns regarding genetic defects that might be transfered to the baby (though there are no apparent family history of anything like that), also I have concerns about birth defects. After all they poke the egg with needle.could you pl answer my question as what are the chances of birth defects in the baby born with ICSI. Looking for help ASAP as i have already started taking injection (Menopur)
Hi!
The reason that they usually suggest ICSI for "older" women is that for some reason, older women have tougher "shells" ( the zona pellucida) surrounding their eggs.  This makes it harder for the sperm to penetrate and fertilize the egg.
The ICSI procedure itself will probably not increase the chances of a chromosomal problem with the embryo.  Your age is a factor though.  Even 20 year old women produce a high percentage of abnormal eggs and that percentage increases dramatically after age 35.  If you are really concerned about the possibility of a genetic abnormality, you may want to discuss PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) with your RE.  There are pros and cons to this procedure, and you may decide against it once you have heard all the issues, but, it basically makes sure that only normal embryos are transferred into the uterus, and therefore reduces the risk of a an abnormal baby or miscarriage.
Bottom line, I wouldn't be worried about the ICSI increasing your risk.
Good luck!
Dr B
Hello DR Brown,
sorry for delay in thanking you. I have 3 A quality embryos transferred on 09-Oct-2009 three dasy after retrieval and one of those was already blastocyte. Now I am very touchy about every thing like I had constipation and had to go to washroom where I had to strain, now I don't know wether straining can cause the embryo to slip out ( I know this is stupid).or are the embryos secure and won't pop out on things like that.
Thanks for your earlier reply again.
my partner & i have just been given the devistating news that our icsi treatment did not work we had two good embryos rated 4 she had some bleeding & pain could i have an explanation to why it failed.