Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
cauterization

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

cauterization

I was wondering if cauterization is the same as ablation? I had uterine surgery for a cornual pregnancy and the doctor told me that she cauterized the inside of my uterus to control post op bleeding. Then I was reading about uterine ablation and how you can't have anymore kids if you get the procedure done. I was wondering if the cauerization would affect my future pregnancies? I tried to look this up on the web but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I have had 4 normal periods since my surgery. Now I am stressed thinking that the cauterization is just like ablation???? Please help. (by the way my doctor knows that I still want to have children)
Thank you for your help.
Please discuss with your doctor. It is unusual to do surgery on the inside of your uterus, where ablations are done, at the time of ectopic pregnancy. Most surgeries are done on the outside of the uterus and cautery of the blood vessels would be common and distinct from ablation. It is hard for me to answer, not having been at the surgery. The physician who performed the surgery is the best person to discuss this with. Four normal periods since the surgery is a good sign.