Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
chance of miscarriage using donor eggs

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

chance of miscarriage using donor eggs

I am a 33 year old who has had 3 miscarriages. I have Robertsonian translocation 13,14, but at least one of the miscarriages was not due to that ( a fluke, but it was chromosome related). ANYWAY...I have recently had IVF using a 22 year old's eggs. I am currently 5w5d pregnant and would like to know what percentage of chance I have in having another miscarriage. I have read 9% because the eggs are pretty young, but I just want to know if that is true or is it a lot higher chance?
Thank you!

P.S. my hcg levels were:

14 days past day 5 transfer- 964
16 days past day 5 transfer - 1938
18 days past day 5 transfer - 3490
Hi!
Congratulations!  Your HCG levels look fabulous!  Good for you for going for the donor eggs, you will never regret it!

The baseline miscarriage rate for the general population is amazingly high. I have seen numbers like 60-70% of pregnancies spontaneously abort. The majority of these miscarriages are caused by chromosomal issues.  

I have seen at least one study that found that miscarriage rates for IVF pregnancies are not affected by underlying infertility in the recipient, but are correlated with the age of the egg/donor.

What does all of this mean?  I'm not sure. But it suggests that your odds of miscarrying are equal to the odds of a 22 year old woman.

From what I have seen, the majority of IVF cycles that are not going to work, fail at transfer.  There is a definite small percentage of women that miscarry due to anembryonic pregnancies.

But once the heartbeat is recognized on ultrasound ( that should be soon in your case!) the miscarriage rate drops precipitously and somewhere on the order of 90% of pregnancies continue.

I wish you all the best!
Good luck!
Dr B