Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
constipation in pregnancy

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

constipation in pregnancy

Hi, i am 5 weeks pregnant with an ivf cycle in which 3 good embryos were transfered. Today I was extremely constipated and in much pain. I tried not to strain unless it was a natural reflex. Could constipation cause a miscarriage as some people say yes and some say no.
Also, I am drinking plenty of water and eating fruits and salads. What more can I do.
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
Hi!
Congratulations!  This probably won't be the last time you struggle with constipation.  Constipation won't cause a miscarriage, so you don't need to worry about that.  One of the best remedies for it is Milk of Magnesia.  Drink tons of water ( 3 liters a day is not too much!). Foods that work well are papaya, prunes, spinach, and green tea.  If you are absolutely miserable, you could even consider a glycerine suppository or Lactulose.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to use a stool softener too, such as Colace.  Miralax could be used in emergencies as well.
I hope that this is useful!
Good luck!
Dr B
I am 5 weeks and 1 day pregnant as of today.  I too have been very constipated.  I have discovered prune juice though and it seems to help more than anything else.  Just be careful not to drink too much, as it will have you in the bathroom all day!  LOL!
~SassyCassie
Just a word of caution to be wary if you are in pain. If you experience a fever, go to the hospital right away. I think you can't be too careful during pregnancy.

I was 5 weeks pregnant in February, had constipation and vomitting (which I thought was the pregnancy) and ended up almost dying from a ruptured diverticulum (bowel) and infection. This is/was quite a rare occurance, so it's doubtful that you would share the same experience...but just a reminder to be aware of your body and to take care of yourself.

Congratulations and best of luck to you - I hope you feel better soon!
for constipation, eat 5 prunes or more a day....natural pitted prunes. they work wonders!!
hiya i 2 am expecting though ivf twins im bout 7 weeks n i 2 av constipation  hope ur pregncy go,s well xx