Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
dermoid sebaceous

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

dermoid sebaceous

I have a 1.2cm by 1.4cm sebaceous dermoid WITHIN my left ovary. I only have the left functioning ovary and have never tried to concieve (conceive). Although I have found I have this dermoid by accident. I have no pain and it hasn't changed in size since November. I want to leave it and try to concieve (conceive) before risking damage to my only viable ovary, and hopefully I will be successful and then have it removed after baby.???????What are your opinions??
My opinion??? Well first the diagnosis of Dermoid has been made by a sonogram. Sonograms are verg good now days and dermoids have some strong identifiable characteristics, but the bottom line is the diagnosis of pathology is being made from an image. My opinion is a diagnosis is made from a biopsy. Now you wouldn't biopsy a cyst (dermoid) you would take it out.
Second, opinion: I would remove it by a mini-laporotomy, small abdominal incision where I could lift the ovary out the abdomin (abdomen) and remove the cyst in a controled fashions not as to rupture the cyst and decrease losing the ovary.
Third opinion: If I was doing some form of fertility drug, I am not aware that I could tell you if it would affect the dermoid in a positive or negative way and also what affect the dermoid may have on the fertility drug interaction with the surrounding normal ovary for follicle stimulation.
Fourth opinion, I would want to make sure the dermoid was being watched by a good sonographer for changes.

I think I have talked myself into taking it out.
Hope this helps,
JM