Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
discharge/missed period

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

discharge/missed period

I have a missed period of 11 days now, I haven't taken any test but I have been having this thick white stringy discharge. What is that?... My breast are not sore and I have been very lazy and craving a lot of sweets lately lol but I don't think I'm pregnant may this be stress?
Hi!
I ALWAYS recommend doing a pregnancy test.  That is the most common reason for missed periods.  Whenever my patients have discharge, I like to test for STDs.  The discharge you are describing could certainly be mucous though.  Finally, yes, stress can cause cycle abnormalites.
Good luck!
Dr B
I took a test as you recommended but I. Turned out Neg, I will now be 15 days late. This whole thing just stresses me out .
Stress can sometimes cause your cycle to be late, but you should see your Dr. Sometimes this can be a symptom of PCOS which is basically your hormones being out of balance. Having pregnancy symptoms and not being pregnant can sometimes indicate a hormone being too high. If one is outta whack they effect the other hormones as well.10-15% of women have PCOS and it can effect fertility as well. It is a syndrome so each woman's PCOS is unique. You don't have to have any one symptom to have it.

It's hard to tell what you mean when describing your cervical fluid. When you say it's stringy do you mean it's stretchy? If so that COULD be fertile cervical fluid. I would strongly suggest you go to the Dr. as it could also be an infection or STD. Whatever the issue, the earlier you get it taken care of the better outcome for your health and fertility. Good luck!

It wasn't that long ago that my cycles suddenly became irregular, before that they were pretty predictable. Some women have issues from puberty on. I feel PCOS is very underdiagnosed-please ask your doctor about this. If you want to have kids, knowing about this could make all the difference.