Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
fertility question

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

fertility question

Roughly 13 years ago i had a bilateral epididymectomy. I am getting remarried, and my future wife and I would like to have a child. I am 45 she is 43. Is there still a chance of having sperm harvested and injected into her eggs to produce a child ??
Hi!
If you and your wife were my patients, I would advise you that there are a couple of options.  You could undergo a reversal and potentially regain your fertility.  A urologist could give you the up-to-date percentages on that possibility. OR you could undergo testicular biopsy and ICSI (sperm injection at IVF) and potentially fertilize eggs. Different institutions have differing sucesses rates.with this.
The concern that I have is your future wife's age.  Before planning any major procedures, you two should probably consider some testing to see what her ovarian reserve is.  These tests would/could consist of an FSH, AMH level, and an ultrasound for antral follicle count. A reproductive endocrinologist could help the two of you with a consultation.
Donor eggs is a potential option that you and she should probably discuss.
Hope this is helpful!
Dr B
Thank you for your response. You have given us a glimmer of hope. We will follow your advice and begin exploring our options with the medical professionals in our area. Thank you again !!