Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
is it ok to take calcium chewables while pregnant?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

is it ok to take calcium chewables while pregnant?

Is it ok to take Calcium chewable vitamins during pregnancy instead of eating/drinking the calcium you are supposed to be taking in? I dont eat alot of dairy...dont like yogurt, milk, or ice-cream. It makes me feel sick after eating most dairy products...just wanted to make sure taking calcium vitamins would be ok and be sufficient enough?
Related Discussions
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
LandM2009 has a good point.  You may wish to try Lactaid with your dairy products. It is safe during pregnancy.  Calcium chewables are fine too--that's the way I went with all my kids.  Your daily requirement is 1300 mg.  The problem with the chewables is that they cause constipation.  Colace is OK.  Miralax is OK.
Congrats!
Dr B
4 Comments
Blank
1108141_tn?1317135179
Maybe you are lactose intolerant. I drink soy milk because regular milk causes major issues with my IBS. I know you can take extra calcium but you might want to check with your Dr in case there is a too high dose.
Blank
944903_tn?1269272518
I was taking calcium/vit D supplement while I was pregnant and taking it now in TTC.

I can't drink lots of milk altough like all other dairy stufff...

Recommended calcium amount during pregnancy is 12000 ..

good luck
Blank
1057389_tn?1325469187
Thanks so much. I will try the soy milk...and if that doesnt go down...i will do the chewables :)
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now