Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
is it ok to take calcium chewables while pregnant?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Is it ok to take Calcium chewable vitamins during pregnancy instead of eating/drinking the calcium you are supposed to be taking in? I dont eat alot of dairy...dont like yogurt, milk, or ice-cream. It makes me feel sick after eating most dairy products...just wanted to make sure taking calcium vitamins would be ok and be sufficient enough?
Hi!
LandM2009 has a good point.  You may wish to try Lactaid with your dairy products. It is safe during pregnancy.  Calcium chewables are fine too--that's the way I went with all my kids.  Your daily requirement is 1300 mg.  The problem with the chewables is that they cause constipation.  Colace is OK.  Miralax is OK.
Congrats!
Dr B
Maybe you are lactose intolerant. I drink soy milk because regular milk causes major issues with my IBS. I know you can take extra calcium but you might want to check with your Dr in case there is a too high dose.
I was taking calcium/vit D supplement while I was pregnant and taking it now in TTC.

I can't drink lots of milk altough like all other dairy stufff...

Recommended calcium amount during pregnancy is 12000 ..

good luck
Thanks so much. I will try the soy milk...and if that doesnt go down...i will do the chewables :)