Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
male chlamydia

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

male chlamydia
hello

I had a chlamydia infection for 8 to 12 months about 3 years ago. I had the normal symptoms and just didnt get treated as quickly as I should. I've heard recently that this can result in male sterility.

could you explain any tell tale signs of this outcome? everything seems to be working just fine but this has left me a little unsure. walgreens has a male fertility checker that measures sperm count would this be good enough to feel that I'm fertile still?thank you.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that antibiotic treatment for chlamydia results in normalization of the man's fertility.  Chlamydia is thought to cause break down in the DNA of the sperm which in turn causes relative infertility in infected men.  This would NOT be detectable with SpermCheck because the test only determines the absolute numbers of sperm, not the integrity of their DNA.
However, as above, if you have been treated, and three-four months have elapsed, your fertility should be back to baseline.
Good luck!
Dr B
im sorry 8 to 12 weeks not months