Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
metformin and weight gain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

metformin and weight gain

I have PCOS (insulin resistant, overweight,cystic ovaries, hair grows etc.) Me doctor prescribed metformin 500 mg 3 times a day. He told me that it will be easier for me to loose weight. Problem is that I am gaining weight, I cut my carbs and calories intake and walking for 1 hour 3 times a week, but still gaining weight. Does that mean metformin is not working for me ?
Related Discussions
Metformin has been shown to help some, but not all, people lose weight. But, it is not a consistent weight loss medication. However it does have other benefits for women with PCOS, including improving the likelihood of spontaneous ovulation, or making women who need clomid to help them ovulate more sensitive to clomid. Are your periods regular? What are your goals - weight loss? Pregnancy? If weight loss, a nutritionist might be helpful.
6 Comments
Blank
i am on metformin and thank good it is working for me i used to weight 115 after pcos went to 170 now i am on 160 lost ten pound after  i started metformin.but you dont loose it right away so keep on it.  
Blank
Have you checked your thyroid levels? I think that sometimes PCOS and hypothyroid can go hand and hand but I'm not a doc.  
Blank
Yes. I did . My thyroid levels are fine.
Blank
hey i have PCOS too and i am on metformin also..dont get discoraged at first you tend to gain weight i did i gained like 20 lbs..it was horrible..but now im 31 lbs with diet and working out 3-4 times a week..it can happen!!! GOOD LUCK!!
Blank
    Please tell me why i have gained so much weight since i started taking metformin tab 500 mg twice a day.
         im loosing my hair to and it is so embarrising
Blank
A related discussion, Metformin was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now